Por-15

Thunderkyss

Veteran Member
Sep 16, 2012
Texas
I've looked over several threads, on this forum & others, where people have replaced substantial pieces of sheet metal, then laid down a coat of PoR-15. I've read this process so many times I was under the impression that PoR-15 was some kind of under-coating.

As I get closer to starting on my project I started to research some of the various tools & products I'll be using. When I started to look at PoR-15 I found out it is not at all what I thought it was.

According to Eastwood's POR-15 isn't an under coating at all. It's a rust treatment. They advise you brush then blow away any loose rust. Then paint directly over the rust. The material will then form a solid surface to work on. A bodyman can then use fiberglass filler or what not to repair holes & such.

So my question, why use it over new steel? I would have thought properly applied primer/sealer & paint overcoat would be enough to protect the metal from rust.

stroked383

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 18, 2011
Saugerties, NY
Thunderkyss said:
I've looked over several threads, on this forum & others, where people have replaced substantial pieces of sheet metal, then laid down a coat of PoR-15. I've read this process so many times I was under the impression that PoR-15 was some kind of under-coating.

As I get closer to starting on my project I started to research some of the various tools & products I'll be using. When I started to look at PoR-15 I found out it is not at all what I thought it was.

According to Eastwood's POR-15 isn't an under coating at all. It's a rust treatment. They advise you brush then blow away any loose rust. Then paint directly over the rust. The material will then form a solid surface to work on. A bodyman can then use fiberglass filler or what not to repair holes & such.

So my question, why use it over new steel? I would have thought properly applied primer/sealer & paint overcoat would be enough to protect the metal from rust.
Because the Por15 when applied properly is guaranteed to not crack, chip or peel and when applied properly it does stand up to the test over time

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
I am one of those people who think POR is overpriced junk. I think everyone on here uses it but it doesn't see real world usage because it is used on their garage queen babies (guys please dont take offense to that remark because once mine is done, it will be as well).
POR was HEAVILY used in the offroad community (look on CK5, Pirate, PavementSucks, Great Lakes Off Road) and it doesnt have a good reputation, actually it is pretty despised because it didnt live up to the hype.

I had given it a try on the axles, tranny, t-case, and frame of my K5, needless to safe even just sitting in my driveway, the rust still came thru. Prep involved pressure washing, then wire wheeling the heavy loose rust off, and then cleaning with brake cleaner, leaving their "perfect" surface for POR to bite to, and then top-coating with enamel.

I gave it a second chance on the axles of my Ram, this time I blasted the axles with black slag, cleaned with brake cleaner, POR'd, and top coating with enamel again. Still the same results.

I could have spent the $200 on something better.

flak monkey

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 5, 2011
Norfolk, UK
BonzoHansen said:
Por15 is not great on smooth metal

Agreed. Even with their recommended prep followed to the letter. Lots of people here in the UK don't like it much either and have had very mixed results. People I trust to have done the prep properly too.

I painted a few bits on my Camaro with it and wasn't that impressed. Rusty metal prepped, degreased and cleaned has very fine rust showing through after 12 months sitting outside (not seen road use).

Personally I like epoxies with anti-corrsion inhibitors. Have some parts painted at the same time with that stuff and its held up perfectly so far. Jotun 87 is my preferred, assume its available in the USA too... or some equivalent.

POR is very old school technology these days, but marketed to sound cutting edge, there are better things at a fraction of the price available.

mgoad1971

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 29, 2011
Houston, Texas
Shizzle said:
Prep involved pressure washing, then wire wheeling the heavy loose rust off, and then cleaning with brake cleaner, leaving their "perfect" surface for POR to bite to, and then top-coating with enamel.

I gave it a second chance on the axles of my Ram, this time I blasted the axles with black slag, cleaned with brake cleaner, POR'd, and top coating with enamel again. Still the same results.
Well, that preperation sounds like NOTHING in their preperation steps.
Let me look again for the step that says "Clean with brake cleaner"

StepByStep.jpg

Nope, not there.

I may be biased as I swear by this stuff.

As for the bare metal (or new metal) I actually let it flash rust.

My buddy always asks "what's the difference between this and powder coating?" and I always reply that you won't have to re-coat it in 20 years.

For patch work, I filled a small hole by putting a sticker on it. Yeah, a circle sticker right under the small hole. The POR-15 filled in the cavity and it's hard as a rock now.

Then I found out they made other products.
large_4cdc73478dcf64fba9b6eb477206993d.jpg

THis stuff is like a putty, and once it is open, should be used up so find several spots to do.

Here is what I should have used instead of a sticker;)

POR-15.jpg

But if a sticker worked, so can dry wall mesh, or fiberglass.

Just get a super starter kit for $20 and follow the instructions to the letter!!!

SuperStarterKit.jpg

stroked383

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 18, 2011
Saugerties, NY
Shizzle said:
I am one of those people who think POR is overpriced junk. I think everyone on here uses it but it doesn't see real world usage because it is used on their garage queen babies (guys please dont take offense to that remark because once mine is done, it will be as well).
POR was HEAVILY used in the offroad community (look on CK5, Pirate, PavementSucks, Great Lakes Off Road) and it doesnt have a good reputation, actually it is pretty despised because it didnt live up to the hype.

I had given it a try on the axles, tranny, t-case, and frame of my K5, needless to safe even just sitting in my driveway, the rust still came thru. Prep involved pressure washing, then wire wheeling the heavy loose rust off, and then cleaning with brake cleaner, leaving their "perfect" surface for POR to bite to, and then top-coating with enamel.

I could have spent the $200 on something better.
That's funny right there. I followed the directions by cleaning with soap and water, not brake clean, using the metal ready rinsing with water then applying the POR15 I did this 17 years ago and it still looks perfect

1971CamaroGuy

LS Swapped 1971 Camaro
Oct 31, 2004
I def don't have any issues using this stuff on floors and and I am coating the inside of my doors and fender with it too