Por-15

daniel76309

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 22, 2005
Niceville, Florida
I have used it several times. When I have adhered to the instructions (which I have not always done), it has held up like powder coating--VERY durable, retains gloss, etc.

dwright406

Veteran Member
Jul 26, 2004
Lake Jackson Tx
I used it on my '70 when I built it 6-7 years ago on the undercarriage and floor pans.
Last time I looked everything still looks like the day I painted it.

I'm sold on the stuff. As long as you follow the instructions to a "T" it works as advertised.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
There are definetly adhesion problems with POR on smooth metal.
Rust is the primer when present.No primer,no bond.It will coat and stay there if you dont touch it,lol.
It has its spots where its great to use.I wouldnt use it on new sheet metal,save for the spots I patched on the floor,since I did my whole underneath in it.
Its also great for pouring into crevices and seams(after welding!!),that you would never be able to strip and spray something in.
So,its not great for everything,but for somethings,its the best.It doesnt like brake fluid(what does?),and heat makes it your beetch.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
flak monkey said:
Agreed. Even with their recommended prep followed to the letter. Lots of people here in the UK don't like it much either and have had very mixed results. People I trust to have done the prep properly too.

I painted a few bits on my Camaro with it and wasn't that impressed. Rusty metal prepped, degreased and cleaned has very fine rust showing through after 12 months sitting outside (not seen road use).

Personally I like epoxies with anti-corrsion inhibitors. Have some parts painted at the same time with that stuff and its held up perfectly so far. Jotun 87 is my preferred, assume its available in the USA too... or some equivalent.

POR is very old school technology these days, but marketed to sound cutting edge, there are better things at a fraction of the price available.
Did you topcoat the POR after you left it outside?It's not UV resistant.Im just curious.

2nd gen man

Veteran Member
Nov 28, 2010
michigan
I Am from the great lakes state,,, and rust is and always be a problem
here. i used por15 for many years. i guess i have been lucky, no problems
of coming off... even on non rusted metal areas'
I Believe prep, weather cond. and ect. have a big part in the way it will
not fail.
thanx

flak monkey

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 5, 2011
Norfolk, UK
krabben1 said:
Did you topcoat the POR after you left it outside?It's not UV resistant.Im just curious.

Nope, it was covered with a tarp though so not exposed to sunlight. :bowtie:

Actually had the prep and paint kit, followed everything, was applied in dry warm weather. Not sure what happened really, but it was an expensive test. Sure I still use what I have got left for non-critical bits and the odd occasions I can't be bothered to mix some 2k. But otherwise use something else.

If other people get on OK with it then that's no suprise. I do know a lot of other people who've had various issues with it too.

FlaJunkie

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 24, 2001
Rockledge, Florida
flak monkey said:
Nope, it was covered with a tarp though so not exposed to sunlight. :bowtie:
It's important to know that some tarps, especially inexpensive ones, do not fully block UV rays.

And, for example, you must topcoat any frame component coated with any UV sensitive product because UV can reflect off the road onto it and cause it to fade.

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
Sorry, still going to stick with it and call it crap. Like I said, google it on any of the offroad message boards, where it gets used and abused and it doesnt hold up to the hype.
BTW,
Soap and water or brake cleaner, both are degreasing it.

Latest posts