Possible 1970 firebird project. What can I use from my 1981 camaro?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Zedzag, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I have an opportunity to buy a 1970 firebird off a buddy for a good price. I currently have an 81 z28 that I've been modifying into a pro-touring car for a few years. I'd like to get a good idea of what will and will not transfer over form the 81. Some of the parts in question are:

Complete front suspension/steering/brakes - PT f-body a arms and steering linkage, global west spring with QA1 shocks, 1981 spindles with Baer 13" track kit brakes.
    Complete rear suspension and brakes - Global west L-3 springs, QA1 shocks, 1981 8.5" 10 bolt rear with Baer 12" rear brakes.
    2001 LQ4 using S&P brackets with clamshell motor mounts, headrs that fit the 81 chassis, th350 with crossmember and driveshaft.
    1981 radiator, booster and master cylinder, brake lines?
    18" wheels should bolt on no problem
    1981 stock efi tank modified by Rick's - i can massage the 70 trunk floor I hope.
    4th gen f-body seats on 81 tracks - are the floors the same?

I'm hoping to get some clarification before I dive head first and triple my budget. That never happens eh?

Thanks in advance.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

floors are different so your 81 seat sliders will not work. i think the rest you are good.

3. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

gas tank

going to be hard to get that gas tank to fit, that's a hug hump on the right side of the tank and the firebird floor is flat across. I've had cars with both styles and I can't see that working

Plus the filler necks are different lengths and angles too....the later car should have a longer neck to accommodate the depth of the taillights and bumper covers

I would sell the tank to recoupe your investment and get the correct one for the year

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

BTW I went from a 76 Camaro to a 71 Camaro similar to your situation, it cost me more on the front end but I am glad I did it now. Those 70 firebirds are sharp cars

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

yeah, i missed gas tank in that list

6. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

I think others have covered the tough points.

To clarify--your front suspension parts should work on the 70 front subframe but you cannot swap the entire front subframe from the 81. I remember reading that the mounting points are different from early to late 2nd gens. There may be other differences as well.

I know the later floors changed to fit cat converter, but I thought the seat mounting points were the same? Learn something new every day I guess.

If you jump in, get us pics. Also, let us know if there are any original Pontiac parts you are not using--although shipping from Canada could suck.

Good luck!

7. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I'll be using the 70 subframe. It's good to hear that my front suspension will work as I hoped. The trunk flor may be shot so I can try and make the 81 tank work. Seat sliders are not a big deal,I'll adapt the 70 sliders then.

I've always loved the 70-73 birds the most of any second gen. Corvette Summer and C.H.I.P.S. are to blame for that!
    I read that those cars were used in making both the movie and the TV show.