Possible car battery issue

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
Went to start my truck up today (2002 Toyota Tacoma pre runner) since it's been sitting in the driveway for 12 days , Turn the key and I get nothing no warning lights just silence . Open the hood and check the terminals and they're tight and no corrosion on the cables . Trying once again to start it and nothing

Get my trusty multi meter and check voltage and notice there's only 2 volts being shown on my meter . The battery is only 1 year old as I bought around this time last year . My Brother and my SIL used my truck during the time I was in the hospital recovering from knee replacement surgery , Until November 11th Veterans day . And they maybe put 100 miles on it while they had it

So either the four days of frigid temps last week killed the battery or Mice enjoying the tasty wiring .I checked the headlight switch and it's off . It's seems strange for a 1 yr old interstate battery to fail that fast

Zstar

Veteran Member
Mar 23, 2014
Ocala, Florida
Interstate's are great batteries, and you're right, this is unusual. I would lean toward something got left on by accident. What Knuckle said...

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
I have a Ford Ranger here. In the Winter, the battery won't last 12 days and still start the truck. There is too much electrical crap drawing power for the battery to last that long. In Summer it works OK sitting even longer than 12 days.
Toyota might be just as bad for sucking power with ECM, BCM, alarm system, radio, and who knows what.
If the truck needs to sit unused for a week, I have to put a trickle charger on it.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Just two days ago, I bought a new car lead-acid battery. I replaced a 65 series that I had replaced just over 5 years ago.
The outgoing battery was purchased just over 5 years ago & is a Walmart Value Price series (lowest price) and it has functioned very well, and although has lived most of that time in relatively mild winter carolinas (but where it gets and stays HOT!). It was still functioning OK but I sensed some hesitation and a little too-quick drain (charging is AOK). So, I nipped it in the bud and replaced it before I suffered a stranding (there's a sign of my aging). Because I've gotten such good service from the low bucks Value Price series, I bought same walmart Value Price again.
Walk-out Purchase price for size 65 was $59.99 + a $2 state recycle fee + a refundable $5 core charge + a bit less than $4 state sales tax --- all cheap enough --- I hope this one serves me as well as its daddy did.
I recommend this cheap alternative.

Happy & Safe Thanksgiving Holidays to each of you and yours!

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
If you recharge it with a trickle charger - I find that often, if the current won't get down to around 1 amp or less after charging for a day or so(with the battery disconnected from the car's electrical system), the battery will no longer hold a charge very long. I guess they have an internal short. Typically I see my bad batteries never drawing less than 2 amps, no matter how long I leave them on the charger. I use a 4A \ 1A charger, with it set on 1A.

If it does charge okay, then I put my ammeter in series to see if there is something pulling low current(e.g., ~1 amp) when the car is turned off. I had that problem when I mis-wired the subwoofer in my Formula, and the amplifier was never turning off, even with the radio off.

Jimmac

Veteran Member
Dec 24, 2013
tucson az
when we bougjt our 2011 tacoma brand new, the factory battery died in less than a year. Toyota replaced it for free, sometimes batteries just die. jim

Javelin3o4

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 21, 2004
Concord, CA
My 4th gen had a draw, turned out it was the rear hatch light, couldn't tell it was on cause the tints. My moms Ranger had a drain and it turned out to be her glovebox light was staying on. Ended up just removing the bulb.