(Possible) Q&A with GM Execs

Sep 12, 2001
Kalispell, MT, USA
Hey, I've found myself in a new job that's sending me to CES in Vegas early January (my idea...lol). I have a chance to have drinks with the highest of GM's echelon, along with some engineers at an after-party, so send me any questions you might want me to ask! I'll try to cover as many as I can.

I hope they take my '73 as a project....

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
Ask Tadge Juechter why they don't spec the Corvette for E85 Flex Fuel.

Find out why GM is so averse to having their Automatic transmissions downshift on demand (people hate on the GM 8-speed for this a lot). I suspect it's a durability issue with the torque converters.

I'm curious if we'll see a competitor for the Mach E (perhaps a Typhoon)

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Ask if there's any movement toward eliminating the auto-stop that people hate and AFM/DOD that costs a small fortune when it (AFM) falls apart and destroys the cam and lifters - if not the whole engine - out of warranty. I'm really afraid to buy a new GM product these days.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
X2 on the auto stop. I hate it. I can turn it off manually but why not like my wife's 300 you can turn it off for good.
I had a 2015 Silverado 6.2 with the 8 speed. It ALWAYS shifted hard when cold. Had "converter shudder" at about 35000 miles. Three times it was reprogrammed with little improvement. I traded with only 3 months left on the factory warranty. I didn't want to buy a new trans after warranty.
Having said that my 20 Silverado 6.2/10 speed combo is great. 1000 percent better than the 8 speed.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I’d like to see all manufacturers who design the headlight switch to have it locked in auto.
So many drivers at night run with only the day time running lights with the switch turned off, but when it comes night time, they don’t turn on the headlight switch cause they notice the dash lights are lit so they think they’re good to go. This is dangerous
especially if you have a speeder coming up behind you that can’t see tail lights. And yes for those who do this, your lights do shut off after x amount of seconds after the engine is shut off. Maybe this is why they don’t just leave the switch on auto.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Our 2017 and 17 GM vehicles do have the headlights come on when raining. Indicator on the speedometer lights up too. Got caught in a heavy rainstorm in our '17 Terrain on the interstate just after we got it, couldn't see 10 feet ahead. Couldn't figure out how to turn on the headlights, or the 4 way flashers. Just about panic mode there. Soon as I got home I educated myself and the wife on this and I found out that the full headlights do come on with the wipers. And real surprised that the flashers were not on the steering column - like every other car ever built.

Latest posts