Potato gun explosion seen through clear pipes

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by COPO, Apr 25, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

so nerdy its cool!!!

3. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    So cool.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ah, the potato gun...My people at work. Again.

La.Z8 likes this.
  5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I was in the naval reserve, the ships I sailed on were diesel, with air start systems. The crew one summer made a compressed air potato gun and started shelling the other two ships when we sailed together. Since we had a massive compressed air tank for the air start system, we could fire lots of potatoes for a pretty long distance!! I think they called a stop to it after we fired a potato that went through the open wheelhouse door of the ship steaming next to us as we did ship handling exercises together. That potato went all the way through the wheelhouse out the other door!

biker and sandlapper like this.
  6. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

I have my original SPUDZOOKA I made 25 years ago downstairs!

and a pair of melted contact leses I saved lol

7. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

The first spudgun I made was the hairspray and grill igniter type. Wasn't happy with the consistency (or lack thereof). Second was made Pneumatic. 24V sprinkler valve 3 slightly tired 9V batteries. Glycerine filled pressure gauge (so the needle don't fall off). Should have used schedule 80 PVC but by my calculations the weak point in the system with schedule 40 is good for well over the 50psi I usually fire it at. Additionally the Pneumatic one has the stress while filled and then releases when fired. Less shock load that way.

Da-bigguy likes this.
  8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

NOT that i would know......but i have heard with slight mods a tennisball cannon is the same size as a BUDWEISER can. In using a small amount of acetylene as a propellent I've heard a full budweiser is good for about 83 yds as a projectile. Any more ...UMPH tends to distort the FULL can...into a mess.

9. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think my old spud gun is still at my parents. It would chuck a potato a little over 200yds. Same basic design as the one in the video except it has a grill igniter on the back cap for ignition and a full stick of 1 1/2" pvc for a barrel. You obviously cant see the flames like in the video but if you shoot it at night you can see the chamber and then barrel glow as it goes off.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

The old school beer cans made great ones. We used to fill tennis balls will lighter fluid and shoot them. Almost caught the neighbors Lincoln on fire. Ball rolled under the gas tank. Everyone ran except me. I got under there and kicked it out. More worried about the Arse Beating I would get than safety. After we ran out of TB's we raided the local gardens for green tomatoes and Huge Zucchini. The Tomatoes would kinda come apart, but the Zuc's would shoot over a house. Good Times....

biker likes this.