Powder Coat or Buy New

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ScubaSteve79, Aug 18, 2012.

1. ScubaSteve79

ScubaSteve79 Member

Just wondering while I'm stuck on a guard shift in the late to early hours of the morning in Afghanistan and my mind just runs wild with thoughts. I have a set of chrome cragar SS rims. I like how they look on my Z28, but one day I want black 5 spoke rims with a chrome lip. Instead of using said money to buy new rims/tires should I just get my old rims sand blasted then powder coated or would it be cheaper and come out better just to get new rims and tires? Also is it even possible for a shop to leave a chrome lip with a job like that? Just a thought from a question from a running wide open mind. :bowtie:

2. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are masking materials(kinda a rubber based tape) that could be used to shield the chrome like you are asking but there would still be an edge between the old chrome & the new powdered steel that would probably start to rust or peel. A better solution would be to powder them in 2 stages, probably the black first then tape off the edge & spray it again in a chrome like silver.

3. ScubaSteve79

ScubaSteve79 Member

Thanks for the info. I was checking out a few shops back in Anchorage that do powder coating. If it seems like too much of an issue I can just keep the cragar SS rims chrome for now and get different rims later on down the road.