powder coaters, got some ?'s

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz70z28, Apr 11, 2012.

1. badazz70z28

badazz70z28 Veteran Member

tried doing a little powder coating tonight. it was just a junk motorcycle fender. we baked it at 375 for 20 minutes (you tube instruction) anways the fender came out like we krinkle coated it, was not smooth at all.why ? also when spraying the powder it did not seem to really cling to the fender, had to put it on thick.does anyone have any pointers? we are gonna try doing some pulleys and old valve covers to get some exp.

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Did you blast it thoroughly first and clean it ??

I thought it was 400* for 20 mins..... BTTB and Olstyle are doing this alot now.

3. badazz70z28

it was not blasted,the kid used a d/a on it to get all the old paint off it, as far as what he may have used to cleaning it, i am not sure, he had that done when i got there. i did some old headers i was gonna use on my vega and i just coated right over the old paint and they came out alot smoother then this did. andmaybe i should have done the 400

4. Z28 Mark

Z28 Mark Veteran Member

I would bead blast the part- clean very well after blasting part- I use IPA –Isopropyl Alcohol (90%) and let it dry. Wear gloves!! You may try heating the part before you begin to P/C the part. Make sure that the unit is connected to the part (grounded to the P/C unit) and the unit is turned on. I have seen this before and I always thought it was something contaminating the part (not clean) or the powder material was bad. Most home oven / PC kits tell you to heat at 400*- I would run at 400* to 475* depending on size- small parts 400* -wheels / rims 450* to 475*.

5. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is why it came out krinkle finish. You put to much powder on it.

^ Follow these steps.

6. badazz70z28

thank you guys for the info. i will try less powder and a little more heat.

7. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

What powder did you use on the headers? I have seen the high temp ones but never tried it. Been doing the ceramic coat myself. My SRT-4 Turbo manifold came out sick looking. Also did my valve cover not bad for a starter kit. In powder coating it's all about the prep work which is why I have not gone legit yet. I do a few odds and ends on my car and did one friends valve covers for cost until I get a bit better.

8. badazz70z28

not sure exactaly what powder it was, got it from work and the machinist told me it was a high temp, but i never did put those headers on my vega so i could not tell you how well it would hold out.