Powder Coating Guys

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by EricsZ28, Feb 10, 2014.

1. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you guys had any luck with the metal lab fillers (or something else) to fill in a surface before you coat it?

I have a cast aluminum magneto cover from a motorcycle with a 1/8" deep scrape. The scrape is about 2" long. I want to fill it before I dust it - but I want something the powder will stick to and that can take the heat. I noticed they make a high-temp version of the metal lab filler, too.

I'm sure this depends somewhat upon the gun, and I'm using a basic one (not a Kool Koat that can do a beer bottle). I'm using Eastwood powders.

Any thoughts?

2. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

I've used this before on valve covers...

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Content.asp?id=20

I'm guessing it would work for you.
    I wanted to go pro with it so I feel I should tell you i still consider myself an amateur at it thou. I don't feel comfortable doing it as a living or second income just yet.
    I have had issues with outgassing so be sure that when you cure it you get all the contaminates out first, dirt oils etc...

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There's an aluminum repair rod which should work perfectly for a filler prior to powdercoating.

http://www.alumiweld.com/

4. EricsZ28

Yes, LayZ - that is the stuff I was thinking of. Thanks for the feedback.

This is my first attempt at cast aluminum. I am planning on cooking this thing for at least 30 minutes first --- or until it stops smoking, plus another 10 minutes or so. Fortunately I have a spare cover to experiment with.

Those aluminum filler rods look interesting, too. I guess with those I would have to sand down the area once I was done filling it (thinking out loud)?

5. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

How are you going to coat it? I now I do 400 degres for about an hour or 30 mins depending on what it is. Watch the temps thou... I was thinking of instead of doing a oven or in my case a old toaster oven LOL I would try the infared lights. A guy was telling me he use to het up the part to burn off the oils and dirt before coating to e sure that it was clean. Been meaning to try it but the stuff is in my garage, it's been a rough winter and I have had zero free time the last few weeks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. EricsZ28

Well, I just finished setting up an old kitchen oven in my garage. After de-greasing and blasting the parts, my plan is to cook the parts at about 20° over the cure temp for about 20 minutes after the pieces stop smoking / visibly out gassing. Then, I'll degrease again, coat them, and cook them. Once the part reaches the cure temp (measured with an infrared thermometer), the clock starts ticking based on what the powder says. Really, I'm new to this, so I'm making this up as I go based upon what I've read on various forums. All suggestions are welcome :cool:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014