Power mirrors

Discussion in 'Rader Classics' started by Lrader99, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lrader99

Lrader99 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Would you all rather have power mirror switch in the door or in the center console?

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Door for me.
    It would have to fill in the void left from the existing remote mirror bezel on the drivers side door panel.
    I guess my next question would be.......

Is this a setup to remotely control your passenger mirror from the drivers side as well ??
    I was assuming it was......which is why I was interested.

3. Lrader99

I figure door will be the option for most people. It just seems like an awkward adjustment to me. The plan is to modify a stock adjustment housing to fit the new mirror switches and then recast the entire housing. The new housings would be black instead of chrome.

As far as pricing goes DIY kits would be in the $150-$200 range. This would mean I send you the modified components and harness and you modify your current mirrors and assemble. You could also send me your current mirrors and I will modify them and ship them back in which case all you need to do is install the mirrors and harness. This would be in the $200-250 range. This is purely a rough estimate.

If I can find some of the components cheaper then that will positively affect pricing. On top of that I have to create, mold and manufacture 9 new pieces to get these to you (LH/RH motor housings, brackets, mirror backings and mirror switch plate).

4. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

I'm interested in a set when you get all the details done.I too,like the door option for the switch assy.Nice work..

5. Lrader99

I believe that the best switch option is going to be a late model camaro switch. I just need to acquire one to modify the switch plate and recast the swith plate.

After much debate about the switch plate and how it currently functions I will begin to look at how to keep its current design and maybe produce an add on part that allows for the switch to attach directly to the current plate. I like how it is angled and think this design will work best for adjustment.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  6. Lrader99

Finally got in the mirror switch today and here is how it looks mocked up in the factory bracket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also sat down last night to grind out the inside of the passenger mirror. I will work on finishing these up in the next week or so.

The new mirror brackets will be black instead of chrome!

7. Lrader99

Here are the working details: $250 set or $350 assembled(you send me your cores I'll send you back fully assembled mirrors ready to be painted

LH/RH full power mirror kits include:
    -LH/RH mirror motors* (modified from 93-02 Fbody)
    -Mirror switch new (93-02 Fbody)
    -Mirror switch plate*
    -Motor brackets*
    -Glass backing plates*
    -Mirror harness*

Optional parts:
    -New glass
    -Indication signals*
    -Heated*

It takes me about 3 hours to modify a set of mirrors and reassemble. So its not a simple DIY project.

*Parts made in house

8. Lrader99

Here is the bracket for the switch attached to the remote cable plate while some compound is drying.
    [​IMG]

Backside finished and in primer:
    [​IMG]

Here is what the outside surface of the new switch plate looks like. I have modified the switch plate some to make it have a slightly more modern feel. Besides the changes in design the new switch plate will be plastic instead of aluminum. All switchplates will come in black and you will be able to color them to match your interior if desired.
    [​IMG]

I will start casting parts for the power mirrors tomorrow and kits should be available in the next week.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  9. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

what you could do , is put it in the under side of the console door and keep the stock bezel there . Youd never see the remote under the console door unless you have it open:)

10. Lrader99

This is true but not everyone has a console and you would still have to cover the hole left by the removing the remote cable assembly in the driver door. Unless you had brand new door panels. I figure that for the majority of people the door will be the best option. This is where people are use to seeing the switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.