Power Steering fluid change

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by dadgonebroke, Jul 3, 2016.

1. dadgonebroke

dadgonebroke Veteran Member

So- I'm changing out all the fluids on the '72. The next chore is to suck out the fluid out of the power steering pump. I remember back then, we used that red Dexron automatic transmission fluid to top off GM cars when they were low. That's all good but what do we use as these fluids have changed over the years to meet new car's needs?

2. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

same old. trans fluid or ps fluid. your choice. nothing has changed in the power steering world. unless you have electric steering.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The owner's manual for my 70 calls for power steering fluid or ATF. The only improvements that have come along in power steering fluid is the availability of synthetic fluid. ATF is much the same. Synthetics are an improvement over the old stuff. Synthetic ATF is easier to find than synthetic power steering fluid, so I use synthetic ATF.
    Regular power steering fluid turns to sludge when cold. ATF doesn't, so your hoses and fittings last longer with ATF.

4. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
  5. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Veteran Member

Suck it out with a turkey baster, fill it with PS fluid. Drive it a while, do it again.