Power Steering Lock up

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by TexasZ28, Nov 4, 2014.

1. TexasZ28

TexasZ28 New Member

I have a '80 Z28. I replaced the power steering pump because it was leaking around the shaft and I bled the system as recommended (lock to lock and no air bubbles) When I drive it the steering will randomly lock-up, maybe it will maybe it won't but when it does it's scary. Sort of like what you would experience if the engine quit, no power steering and you have to really get down on the wheel to turn it. I had none of these problems with the old leaky pump. I plan to replace the pump but I'm curious as to when you know the steering gear box is bad. Like i said earlier the whole system worked fine before.. just trying to understand what might be going on..

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Recheck your belt tension. A bad or loose belt can do that especially at lower engine rpms.

3. TexasZ28

TexasZ28 New Member

Thanks Gary..

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Or you still somehow have air in the system, or the pressure valve is sticking in the reman pump. I bought a reman pump recently from one of the big name brand remanufacturers, and I had to take it apart and re clean everything. It was full of metal shavings and grit out of the box.

5. TexasZ28

TexasZ28 New Member

Thanks for the reply B.S.... I thought about this option.. these reman pumps are a crap shoot to start with.

6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For particularly difficult to bleed PS systems, you can take a rubber stopper big enough to seal against the reservoir neck, drill a hole in it that will accept an appropriate sized hose barb union, that you hook a mityvac pump up to, and then you can apply vacuum to the reservoir as you turn the steering lock to lock (engine off). If you see the vac falling off as you do this, you have air in the system - keep going and maintain vac until you notice it is no longer falling off. This is the correct size rubber stopper to do this on a GM saginaw power steering pump

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00EHXKG5A/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_2

7. TexasZ28

TexasZ28 New Member

Well, I just completed going through my power steering system. I un-installed everything off the car and took the by-pass valve out of the back of the pump. I blew everyhing out with compressed air and did not see any problems. On Friday, I obtained a missing P.S. bracket from a local Camaro repository (Camaro Country). This will help with the belt alignment and tension and pump overall ridgitity. I bled the system with the help of my son. I have to admit with all the preparation we still spilled a lot of fluid. I bought a gallon of P.S. fluid and used a gallon now I have to clean my driveway. But all is good, mechanically it went great. The re-installation looks good. Not sure if this actually fixed the original lock up problem because I discovered in the process my front tires are bad and I have to replace them before I can do a road test. If I could simple attach pictures I would. Thank all of you for your suggestions and support. This Z-28 didn't just pop-up yesterday. I've been working on it since at least 2000 since I bought it off the side of the road and chasing parts.. well all of you know the drill...