Power steering pump FUBARed

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Gasoholic, May 21, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Just fixed the steering gear and intermediate shaft. New linkage and alignment.
    All happy cause its nice and tight and working great.
    Let my wife drive it and right away she says "whats wrong with the steering"?
    I'm kinda like disappointed and say "well its an old car". "but I thought it felt pretty good to me".
    She drives us home and when I go to pull it in the garage I notice the power assist is falling on its face. No wonder my wife thought something was wrong.
    Anyway the pump is toast. Ordered a new one. Not rebuild.
    I'm going to have to flush the gear out. The fluid is all nasty with metal from the pump. Hopefully the gear will be ok.
    Just weird how fast it went out. It was fine one minute and next it was toast.

Wonder if I can flush the gear with one of those trans flushing kits?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are some real tight clearances in that gear box, you can try flushing and you may be okay. But for the price of a rebuilt steering gear, I would feel more comfortable replacing both.

3. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have read some where where people are putting filters on to prevent that contamination , anyone put a filter in there system?

4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I dont have a filter in there. Probably a good idea.
    Thing is, I didn't really want to do a lot with this car until next fall. Just wanted to be able to drive it around some for the summer.
    Plan is to strip it down to a rolling chassis next winter so we can clean it up right.

Soooo, here I am. I bought a new pump. Looks really nice. Got some trans cooler flush I'm going to use to clean out the gear. The gear is pretty new. Should have replaced the gear and pump together. But I didn't.
    Figure while I'm doing this and since the new pump looks so nice I may as well clean up the existing 305, even though its going by by next winter. Just some cleaning up, new gaskets, hoses, therm etc... Doesn't cost me much, more just labor, but will at least look better to drive it and show it off this summer. Valve covers and intake gaskets were leaking anyway. And maybe someone will want to buy it after I pull it out next winter?

[email protected] likes this.
  5. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

I've always replaced the pump, gear and lines at the same time. I read tonight a suggestion that a filter be put in the low line temporarily til the metal shavings are cleaned out.

6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

So I got the new pump installed. Made a few other mods while I was doing it. Didn't cost that much. Mostly used stuff that I probably will never use anyway. Just want to run it for the summer.

KIMG0186.jpeg