Power steering question...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Buck Heard, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Buck Heard

Buck Heard Veteran Member

I just changed out the belts on my 72 and noticed that after the change the power steering seemed to be acting up. Now the car is all original with 162k miles. The actual problem could have been there before that but I don't drive the car but once or twice a month on the weekends. When I bought the car it was just chattering when you went all the way to lock but now the steering is jerking and chattering any time you turn it. The pump doesn't appear to be leaking (the only thing that isn't). Is it time for a new pump and reservoir? No flaming now. I'm a rookie mechanic. Thanks for any help.

2. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Prolly a good time to change the pump and/or the gear box. Figure you are putting MORE tension with the new belt....its not slipping as much as the old one was....putting more strain on that used gearbox as well.

Start with the PS Pump....

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'm betting your new belt is slipping. It needs to be tightened some more. New belts stretch and have poor grip on the pulleys while they break in. They need to be retightened at least once after installing.

The chatter you feel is just the new belt slipping. New belts that aren't broken in will slip a lot and usually won't make any noise to indicate that they are slipping.

Retighten the belt first. I'm betting it is your entire problem.

And, if you can't get it to stop slippping, replace the new belt again. If you run them even a fairly short time slipping, you will glaze the belt, and it might never do the job. I know. I did that a few years ago. I didn't get the first belt tight enough and it slipped enough to glaze the surface. After that, I couldn't get it to work, so I replaced it again with the exact same belt that I bought out of the same batch at the same time, and the second one worked because I got it tighter from the start.

[This message has been edited by Gary S (edited October 05, 2004).]

4. Buck Heard

Thanks guys. I'll jump on the belt tightening tonight.

5. Buck Heard

That did the trick.