Power Windows 1976

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by LaconiaLed, Jun 18, 2020.

1. LaconiaLed

LaconiaLed New Member

I have not had power to the windows in over a year. My new engine is in, I installed new gauges in dash, now I'm trying to get ready for state inspection.
    When I ran power to windows switches, right window is fine (fast down a little slow going up) but left is nothing. I grabbed wires and directly hooked up to battery jumper pack pos and neg and I just get a spark and a noise that the motor it trying.
    To replace it, it looks like I have to break rivets (no bolts appear to be holding motor and regulator) and get new. Is there a way before breaking rivets that I can force it into action like a screw driver wedged into gear teeth? Just didnt want to do all work if may be just stuck in place.

2. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

While holding the switch in the up position, whack the motor with a hammer. Seriously

3. LaconiaLed

LaconiaLed New Member

On it. Anything is better than removing the rivets.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I replaced one in my Son's '80. We just drilled out the rivets and put the replacement motor in with bolts.

5. LaconiaLed

LaconiaLed New Member

hammerinr on the motor didnt work. Guess Im drilling it out.

No way to change just motor?

6. LaconiaLed

LaconiaLed New Member

surprisingly, there is a good video online of a guy locating and drilling 3 holes in interior door frame to access bolts on motor (its for a 1977 z28). So I ordered motor. Now before it arrives tomorrow, I need to decide whether to drill those holes, or just take whole thing out. I dont know why, but I'm really hung up on not removing rivets. I may un-bolt side rails and lube those up real well.