power windows

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by rallysport, Apr 26, 2003.

1. rallysport

rallysport Member

Where does the power come from for the powr windows; can't find a fuse, can't find a circuit breaker. sometimes they work, sometimes not. got new switch too.

2. 80rscam

80rscam New Member

3. rallysport

rallysport Member

Thanx, I'll take look and see what i can find.

4. rallysport

rallysport Member

Yep, it was the relay, bad ground where it mounts to the frame. thanx again!

5. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

Hi, im having the same problem also, the power windows worked for a while, then became intermittent, then stopped all togather and i cant find the relay.
    exactly where under the dash on the right of the steering colum?
    ive been jumping power to the switch with a loooong wire to my amplifier [​IMG]

Hope mines a bad ground also [​IMG]

------------------
    1979 Z/28 T-top, 355 flattop, Dart Iron eagle 200cc 2.02X1.6" valve 64cc chamber heads, Comp.XE268 cam, 1-5/8" long tube Holley Headers, Accel ignition, 8MM Moroso wires, Edelbrock performer RPM intake, Edelbrock performer RPM 750cfm carb, Accel perf. foam air cleaner, TH-400 trans with B&M 2100 stall converter and transgo shift kit, 3.42 rear, 255/60/15 tires all the way around on stock 79Z rims, Energy suspentions polyurethane bushings, stock Z/28 front and rear anti-sway bars with ES poly bushings, alum rear drums with perf. brakes, 99 Z/28 front buckets and full rear grey cloth seats installed on stock 79Z seat rails. black interior with black exterior.

6. rallysport

rallysport Member

On mine there are two relays to the right of the columb,way up there near the left of the radio' one is a big silver one which i think is for the rear defogger, and the other is the power window one; this one has three wires going into it, to find out if the problem is a bad ground, turn the ignition on and wiggle the relay around abit and if it starts 'clicking', sure-as-poo thats what it is.

7. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

I have a big silver relay mounted on the left of the radio like you said, it has two big fat wires running to it, one orange with a white stripe and a purple with white strip, then a small.. i think green wire, and two small black wires running to the same plug.
    if you take the relay off it has 3 plug ends on one side and one on the other, sound right? or is that the rear defogger?
    i dont see any other ones under there.

Thanks, hopefully soon i can find the problem.

8. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

Got it, it was the power accessories relay in the fuse box, i had a 30 amp fuse in there but they still didnt work, snapped in a 30 amp breaker and presto, windows!