Pressure blaster

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Jeep43, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

My 74 is down to a shell with quarter panels removed. The only exterior metal is the roof skin, tail panel and rockers and all of those are already stripped with a sander. I want to get a blaster to strip rust & paint off the window channels, trunk gutters, jambs and other misc small nooks and crannies, nothing that I have to worry about warping.

I already have a 60 gallon compressor, 11.9cfm @ 90. Not the best but not the worst I expect to take breaks for it to catch up. I was looking at Harbor Freight pressure blasters. They have 3 models, a 20lb and 40lb that have a basic ball valve nozzle and a 110 lb with a deadman valve. Not sure which to choose, anybody have any experience with these? I imagine they all work on the same principle aside from capacity but wonder if the nozzle makes a difference.

I was going to use black diamond coal slag as a media. Tractor supply sells fine and medium for $10/50 lbs.

2. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

The ball valve models usually work fine, I've used the 80 lb model for many projects, Use the fine media and the appropriate safety gear and you should be fine. I have a much larger compressor and even it can't keep up so it will definitely take some time and make a big mess. The blasting media will wear out the ceramic nozzles fairly quickly so you might buy a few extra when you chose wich blaster.

3. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've not had good luck with the pot style blasters and I have an 80 gallon 5hp 2-stage compressor with like 90cfm and I could never get it to run a steady stream of blast media. Even joined a yahoo group and modded the thing which was better, but still stopped up and sputtered. Got turned onto a gun and hose with a vent like this one at Tractor Supply and it works great! Stick the hose through the media bag and go!
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jobsmart-siphon-feed-abrasive-blaster

Wear a fresh air respirator and protective gear during blasting, very important!

Another thing to use is a small cup brush on a 90 degree die grinder to get into jam areas without needing to use nasty blaster.

4. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Interesting. I had the same issue with a siphon blaster like you pictured.......

What did you end up using for media with the siphon?

5. ChevyReb

I was using fine media sand from local building supply store. That vented one let's air get down there to allow the suction to work. Media needs to be very dry still. Moisture is you enemy, so best to keep media in a climate controlled environment and blast on low humidity days. At least for me in SC climate. I need to find mine because I have a few small things I need to clean up. I had one that didn't work great. Second one I bought is awesome. Ill see if there is a brand name on it if I find it this weekend.

6. ChevyReb

20201220_153537.jpg 20201220_153529.jpg 20201220_153522.jpg
    In case anyone is still looking... This is the one I have, I finally found it the other day. Now I need to get some media and blast a few things. Looks like it came from Tractor Supply and currently sells for $23.99.

7. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

I would have to look in my garage because I can't remember if I bought the Eastwood one or a cheaper Harbor Freight one, but it is like this:
    https://www.eastwood.com/ew-50lb-pressure-abrasive-blaster.html

I did my whole subframe with it and it worked out great.
    I put a tarp in the driveway and did it there. I would collect the media and run it through the sifter to reuse it.

8. ChevyReb

I had a pot blaster and it would always keep erratically stopping or surging and just never was able to keep a steady flow of media. I had an 80 gallon 5hp 2 stage compressor with multiple air dryers on it. I went the the one I posted above and you punch the end into a bag of sand or black diamond and steady output to the bottom of bag. Sweep up in tarp, funnel through screen back into bag and repeat. No problems and one less tool to store. I'm glad you had good luck with your tank but I know several people like me who were not as fortunate.