Primering the engine bay

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by E Dog, May 19, 2015.

1. E Dog

E Dog Veteran Member

Want to use epoxy primer on the firewall and inner fenders. Did the factory use enamel or lacquer? The paint store said I might have to put something down UNDER the primer to make it compatible. Help me out guys lol

2. Iknow2

Iknow2 Veteran Member

if this helps i just used rattle can enamel, im not finished yet, this was just one can but here is before and after.

[​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

3. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

Take everything down to bare metal and shoot it with epoxy....have no idea what they are talking about that something has to be under the primer. Epoxy is a sealer....shoot it then top coat and you'll be fine. My firewall and inner fenders were taken down to bare metal. I shot them in Trans Star epoxy primer. I'll shoot a single stage black on all of it after a scotch pad scuff them when I'm ready.

4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you could just leave those areas in epoxy primer and it would be fine.

5. E Dog

E Dog Veteran Member

Sanding everything down to bare metal, with all those creases and nooks on the radiator support is not something I want to do. I just want to scuff the paint that's already there and lay down epoxy primer on top of it, but I want to make sure it's compatible with the paint that is there from the factory.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What's the end game intent? Just looks?

I just did mine...just scuff'd it up and spray engine temp enamel over it. No reason to go to such great lengths and spend $$$ on expensive primers and paint unless this is a restoration.

7. E Dog

E Dog Veteran Member

Well beings that I just spent 80 hours smoothing the firewall I want it to look as nice as possible

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  8. zooms80z

zooms80z Veteran Member

My car is apart and I had the rad support, inner fenders, and fenders professionally blasted.....I took a wire wheel to the firewall and cleaned it up as best as I could. I didn't get down to bare metal on the firewall. Then shot it all in epoxy. I didn't have any reaction on the firewall. I supposed you could shoot over a scuff, but I would read and follow the guidelines from manufacturer.

9. chauncey1970

chauncey1970 Veteran Member

They may have been talking about Barcoat to stop reactions of the paint under

10. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

If they are telling you to put something down before the epoxy, you may want to find another paint store.