Primering the engine bay

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by E Dog, May 19, 2015.

1. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Just use epoxy chassis paint,all in one step. The factory never primed chassis parts. Only the firewall was primed with the body shell,and I don't know about the radiator support or fender wells. I used epoxy primer followed by single stage BASF urethane on my Fire bird and it was still too soft. Regular enamel or laquer will be too soft to hold up. You have to remember that the factory finishes didn't last long. I would go with the strongest epoxy you can find. I haven't tried that ceramic infused stuff,but it is supposed to be good. Power coating would be even better if you can swing it. My dragster chassis was powder coated and it was tough as nails.

2. E Dog

E Dog Veteran Member

I don't wanna powder coat because I want the firewall to match. Tell me more about the ceramic-infused paint, can't seem to find exactly what you're talking about, interested to know more.

3. Scott_H

Scott_H Veteran Member

I intended to use the ceramic paint on mine, but it's thick paint an I can't get it to spray out smooth. Either not enough compressor or the 1.4 tip spray gun. Eastwood 2K Ceramic Chassis Black

From my research this paint would go on non sheet metal parts like frame an control arms. I been struggling with paint for the rest like cowl inner fenders an rad support. First got a gallon of the GM reconditioning paint, no activator so must be lacquer an was a satin not the original semi gloss I found on the car. Then I got more ceramic paint both satin an gloss to try an mix a semi gloss an just use that, but again sprays like bed liner. I have black SPI epoxy I bought to tint my red oxide that sprays awesome, covers great, an has the perfect level of shine. Just noticed a post where the owner of SPI says you can leave it bare but he didn't advise it. So now I'm coming back around to having some single stage paint mixed for the correct gloss level. Moral of my post would be spray bare metal with epoxy then top coat with SS.

4. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

SPI has a flat black single stage that you can mix per your desired sheen/flatness.