pro comp heads vs older afr heads

franks70camaro

Veteran Member
Jul 6, 2009
fayetteville nc
ok need some advice got a 383 stroker in my 70 camaro got brand new procomp 210 heads on it motor runs awsome has great power. now i know alotta people hate them wit the bad rap they had awile back i got the newer castings that had no issues.... so far lol. now i had a freind of mine today give me a set of afr heads there not todays style they look to b older model they got a big letter A on the sides of the head n afr stampd on the front in tiny letters....there 210 heads as well what heads would b better on my 383 the afrs or the procomps what ones you guys think b better n make more power

5spd540

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 19, 2009
Guyton, GA
I would leave it alone if this is going to be a street car. You will never notice the hp and tq gain or loss from a new set of heads unless you are pushing the motor to high RPMS

hhott71

R.I.P 11/19/18
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 30, 2001
Joplin Mo. 64801
It's just gaskets and time to try the AFR's. Go get some time runs at the strip with your current heads then with the AFR's the following week.
Then report back to us what you've discovered.

newschool72

Veteran Member
Feb 25, 2011
forsyth,ga
What are the combustion chamber volumes on each head? Be careful , if you change over, that the AFRs don't push the compression too high.

DFWJ

Veteran Member
Aug 16, 2012
DFW
I wish I had friends... that would just give me some AFR heads...

if the combustion chambers are the same, it would be interesting to see any difference in 1/4mi mph's and 'butt dyno' feel

Buckneccid

Veteran Member
Nov 16, 2010
South Point OH
If all else is equal and it's just a difference of aluminum vs Steel, go with the aluminum. Not only will it save a few lbs, but you will also have a better heat exchange and control. Generally with aluminum heads you can run a higher compression ratio without getting spark knock. Figure at least a full point higher compression and your engine will still run as it does right now.

Latest posts