progress report on the 73

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by victor3ranger, Aug 10, 2009.

1. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

I thought the same thing but with the Camaro being "not finished" and not having a/c the wife won't want to drive it until it's "all finished". So it looks like I will get to drive it for awhile because these projects are never really finished.

2. victor3ranger

victor3ranger Veteran Member

You got that right.
    I took all the ac stuff out of mine and it is going to stay out. I feel the same way about my camaro as I did about my jeeps, both are made to perform in thier areas and neither one needs a ac. It would be nice to have and all but it is just something else to keep up.

Tonight I tried to hook up the new shifter cable to the horseshoe shifter, found out that with the after market deep aluminum pan my cable bracket dosen't even come close to working so I had to mount my Pro Rachet shifter;)

I did find a good oil leak thru the dipstick tube tonight, seems as if with only a PCV on the passenger side it wasn't letting enough crank pressure out, so I took a old breather off my moroso cover and whittled down the ears so it would screw into the hole and it seems to have fixed it. Now, back out there to see if I can finish up the welding on the subframe connectors.

3. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

I had the same problem with too much crank case pressure, it was blowing out the dipstick. Now I have a pcv valve and two breathers and haven't had any problems.

4. victor3ranger

Well, today I worked on putting in the new dash pad, if you haven't done one of these before I can tell you it is a giant pain in the ass.
    Today was my day off and it took all day long to do, several times I had to leave the shop afraid that I would start throwing things through the shop.
    After 10 hours I finally got the thing in, not as good as I wanted it to be but it looks pretty good, a lot better than the old one.

5. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Yeah I did the dash dance already and good thing the seats werent in at that point or I would have been really pissed off by the time it was done. It really was a pain in the ass with one person. Like you mines not perfect but its in and I'm not taking it out anytime soon.

6. victor3ranger

Yep, the way it is now is the way it's going to stay.

If anyone is thinking about mounting Alston subframe connectors I can give you some advise, find yourself at least a 12" or longer drill bit to drill the holes thru the rear frame rails, short of a angle drill with the exhaust removed there is no way to get to the frame rail without pulling everything apart.
    I welded mine in but I also want to bolt them just to add some extra support.

I drilled most of the day yesterday and only got one side done, now I have to resharpen my bits and go after it again to try and finish the passenger side.:screwup:

7. my71bmf

my71bmf Veteran Member

Is the dash a bigger pain than realigning all the front sheet metal and doors? I was lucky, the dash was the onle thing in the interior of mine that was worth a crap. All the mounting tabs for the gauges were broke, so I made the mounting ears from epoxy.
    I did bolt in competion enginearing sub frame conectors. They saved my car from being totaled about nine years ago. I would like to do some weld ins, but I realy would like to see how there done on another car first.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  8. victor3ranger

The only real pain about the dash is that the room to work is so hampered that it is hard to see and work.
    Other than that I think that putting the dash in wasn't as bad as aligning all the new sheetmetal.

I am still very unhappy about the sheetmetal, the quality control sucks. What can you do??
    Until a good american company steps up to make good quality repop parts then we are stuck with OER brand, that or try to redo the original parts, that is what I am going to do next time on the 70 I have.

9. my71bmf

my71bmf Veteran Member

My OER fenders took a while to fit, but I'm pretty happy with the result. If I got something too crapy, Bill Rose said he would send it back and get me another one. I had purchased a used fender from Philips Muscle car parts, and it was CRAP. After I stripped it it looked like it was beat with a ball peen hammer.:mad:

10. victor3ranger

LOL, neat what you can find when you strip the parts down and see what it really looks like.
    Eventhough, I still think that after it is all said and done a factory fender that needs some body work will still look better than a after market one that you can't get the body gaps to line up at all without adding or subtracting metal from them.
    I know that it is a labor of love to build these things but man, it sure would be nice to be able to buy some quality after market sheet metal parts.

I am trying to get my hands on some good fenders and header panels to use on the 70 when I get the time and money to start on it.