progress report on the 73

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by victor3ranger, Aug 10, 2009.

1. my71bmf

my71bmf Veteran Member

Dude, that car looks great. If I were you, (and I have been in your shoes before), just do some research and dive in. There are tons of write ups on how to cut and buff, I read up on a few, tried some things, and now I get to say " I did that." My car was the first complete base/clear job that I had done, and it turned out pretty good, for having to paint in the garage with the door open. How many coats of clear did you shoot? if you have a good three or four, you'll be fine I bet. Just be careful around the corners and edges.

2. victor3ranger

victor3ranger Veteran Member

I ended up with 4 coats of color and 4 coats of clear. I got some pretty good sags and runs in a couple of places though (in the clear)

I had to fight the bugs all the way, I hate flies and moths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: Right before the last coat of clear flashed a big ol' turd fly did a belly flop right on top of the roof.:mad: :mad:

3. my71bmf

my71bmf Veteran Member

Morning is the best time to shoot. I learned that the hard way. With four coats of clear, I bet you could cut it yourself. Just remember about the areas prone to be thinner, and always use a sanding pad where possible. I used a harbor freight buffer to shine it up after wet sanding. I don't know where your located, but I could show you mine, and point out the good and bad spots. My car isn't quite as nice as probiz's, but still turns a lot of heads.
    I'll be at the drags tonight with it. I'm not runnig it, but I'll be doing some things with the TSS.

4. victor3ranger

I wish I was closer, I am up here in Ponca City.

I bought a buffer 2 years ago but never used it.

5. my71bmf

my71bmf Veteran Member

No time like the present. I used all meguire's professional products when buffing my car. I was very happy with them.

6. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Great job on the car, it looks beautiful, hell of a lot better than mine. Wish I had the space and patients to do body work.

7. my71bmf

my71bmf Veteran Member

gutted72, your car looks pretty good to me.

8. probizjudi

probizjudi Veteran Member

He's so modest ;) It is a nice car! So is yours!

9. victor3ranger

This is my first attempt at paint and body work short of a spray can:crazy:

I have been lucky that my gunner in my squad used to do paint and body work so he has helped a lot to get it where it is right now, without him I would have been lost.

Tonight I started putting the interior trim back together, have to hunt down all the parts and screws, lord knows where some of that stuff has walked off too by now.

My shop is a total mess, crap everywhere so I need to pull the car out and do a really good cleaning before my buddy brings his 69 Firebird 400 over to get worked on. I am also baby sitting a awsome Prostreet 1970 Dodge Demon:eek: (not a camaro but a VERY awsome car) for another friend while he repairs all the damage done to his house from the storms a few weeks ago.

I think was all have great cars, being able to bring these cars back to their old glory is great.

Gutted, your car looks almost exacly like one up here in Ponca, I love the way it looks.
    Judy, yours is a work of art, there is no way I would be able to put into mine what you guys have been able to do with yours.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  10. victor3ranger

Attempting to layout the sound deadener and new carpet today, then maybe start wet sanding the runs in the clear if I have time.