Progression Distributor.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Mark does make some good engines for sure but one thing I have always wondered about with his peanut port engine was on several sites he quotes several different camshafts. Not sure why. I run a curved dizzy on my street cars and locked in on the race car, at the track it really works well but like you said an intermittent hard start is tough to deal with. Only had that problem with my old 13:1 compression 406 years ago, so I added an interruption switch that I turned off then get the engine cranking and flip the ign on and it fires right up.

73Motion

Mar 1, 2016
Corsicana TX
Thanks for the reply. My understanding from Mark, and he was very meticulous, with understanding exactly what my car was to be used for. I even drove it from Denver to Colorado Spring so he knew exactly. I think the answer to your question is he builds the engine for the customer use. The interruption switch was my next move if this did not clear it up. But seems to be the ticket so far. Here is a link to the car.

Casenator

Jun 12, 2013
Utah
Beautiful car and great video!

I've toyed with the idea of a controllable distributor too, but haven't put enough effort into my current one to justify it yet. I also have the additional challenge of not knowing what cam I have. Such is life though.

Can you share a link for your tunable distributor? I wouldn't mind reading up on it a little.

If you're curious, my 468 is currently set at 22* initial, HEI distributor modified to only 14* mechanical advance (all in by about 2500rpm). I also fixed the vacuum advance to only about 10*, but found it wouldn't crank over with it connected.

My next step will be to drop the initial back by 10*, as that back to the mechanical, and then see how it runs with the vacuum advance connected. All this tinkering would be a lot easier with the programmable distributor. Especially since I have to do most of it on my own (need three hands half the time and four the other half). Lol

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
don't recall 427 tripower for '70 C3 ... thought MY 1969 C3 was last hurrah for 427; replaced by 454 in '70 ?
Regardless, the SUN info is golden. Welcome aboard & Thanks for that

73Motion

Mar 1, 2016
Corsicana TX
Beautiful car and great video!

I've toyed with the idea of a controllable distributor too, but haven't put enough effort into my current one to justify it yet. I also have the additional challenge of not knowing what cam I have. Such is life though.

Can you share a link for your tunable distributor? I wouldn't mind reading up on it a little.

If you're curious, my 468 is currently set at 22* initial, HEI distributor modified to only 14* mechanical advance (all in by about 2500rpm). I also fixed the vacuum advance to only about 10*, but found it wouldn't crank over with it connected.

My next step will be to drop the initial back by 10*, as that back to the mechanical, and then see how it runs with the vacuum advance connected. All this tinkering would be a lot easier with the programmable distributor. Especially since I have to do most of it on my own (need three hands half the time and four the other half). Lol
Here you go. https://progressionignition.com/.

Casenator

Jun 12, 2013
Utah
Thanks 73Motion. That looks very intriguing. I almost didn't see the vacuum connection coming out the bottom. I may be following your example and giving this a try.

In your timing chart, what are the measurements down the left column? I figured they were vacuum related somehow, but the scale seems backwards.

73Motion

Mar 1, 2016
Corsicana TX
I am a self admitted amateur understanding these charts. Was hoping by creating this post that the experts on this forum could help us. Still doing my research on the subject. Beginning to understand but still want to fully know what I am doing.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I still say the map/chart itself is inconsequential to your end result. Once you set your goals for startup, idle advance, max total advance and the rpm it all comes in by, you have produced a "curve" that you can watch in real time on the table. If you want to understand the table itself, you need to know what the x and y axis represent, and what engine inputs (rpm and vacuum) impact either axis.

Latest posts