Progression Distributor.

73Motion

Mar 1, 2016
Corsicana TX
Don’t disagree. There are some videos of dyno runs where the tech picks some individual cells and makes changes during the dyno pulls. The guys with cars with all the electronics use the table to make adjustments. Especially cars with boost. But that is at the race track. I just want mine to function optimally. I’m very anxious to spend some time with it. Kinda like adding an EfI setup to these old cars. I’m considering that as well. But not this year.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Yes. If you have live data on a dyno, probably easier to optimize everything and see what points on the curve may make a difference.

Da_Raabi

Veteran Member
Jan 19, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
I have one of these distributors on my 11.4:1 377 LT1 (gen 2). It's easy to work with but I have a lot of the same trouble as far as "understanding" what to do with it. Right now I'm just using the lock out feature and I have it locked at 32 degrees. The motor is happy with that for right now while I deal with other issues (like the distributor turning due to a goofy chrome hold down - yuk!). It makes it really nice to be able to use the gauges feature on the tablet to watch timing/vacuum/manifold pressure in real time while tuning the carb. It also allows me to see a tach, which again is nice since my mechanical tach cuts out at 2500 apparently...

I agree with what was said before. Don't worry too much about the individual numbers in the table. Plug in the base timing etc. in the table builder and let it do its thing. Without the ability to see fuel/air mixture or even better knock sensing it's fairly useless to dig into the table itself. This is where another conversation came up in another thread about a standalone knock sensor and how handy that would be for tuning timing, but that's another issue.

If you find that the motor feels sluggish, you can always try "aggressive mode" to see if that helps. I have yet to play with that feature, but it might help you.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I have one of these distributors on my 11.4:1 377 LT1 (gen 2). It's easy to work with but I have a lot of the same trouble as far as "understanding" what to do with it. Right now I'm just using the lock out feature and I have it locked at 32 degrees. The motor is happy with that for right now while I deal with other issues (like the distributor turning due to a goofy chrome hold down - yuk!). It makes it really nice to be able to use the gauges feature on the tablet to watch timing/vacuum/manifold pressure in real time while tuning the carb. It also allows me to see a tach, which again is nice since my mechanical tach cuts out at 2500 apparently...

I agree with what was said before. Don't worry too much about the individual numbers in the table. Plug in the base timing etc. in the table builder and let it do its thing. Without the ability to see fuel/air mixture or even better knock sensing it's fairly useless to dig into the table itself. This is where another conversation came up in another thread about a standalone knock sensor and how handy that would be for tuning timing, but that's another issue.

If you find that the motor feels sluggish, you can always try "aggressive mode" to see if that helps. I have yet to play with that feature, but it might help you.
Well said.

73Motion

Mar 1, 2016
Corsicana TX

Thanks so much for the info. Just curious, what was your reason buying the distributor, do you plan on unlocking it and see how it works for your application? I bought it because my engine did not like the locked out one I had in it during starting from time to time. My car is down for other reasons so I haven’t had the chance to drive it. But I did adjust my electric fans and let it get to about 195-200 on temp. Turned it off and let it set a few minutes and it started like you would want it too. Multiple times with no issues. Would be interested to hear from you if you unlock it and set it up accordingly.

Da_Raabi

Veteran Member
Jan 19, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
I've been playing with mine for a few months, but like I said I've been chasing unrelated issues and that's limited things a bit.

The reason this distributor makes hot starts easy is because it retards timing under a certain RPM in order to help the starter. I've never had a single issue with the starter struggling to start.

I have also set up a few tables, allowing the distributor to function as normal but my motor just does not like low timing. I'm wondering if maybe I have a vacuum leak somewhere, because it just is not happy at a base timing of 12-15 degrees. Basically it just wont run. At 32 degrees it seems happy from starting up to about 5k where I set the redline.

I purchased this distributor because I wanted to be able to set it and forget it physically. I don't like dealing with the springs and weights, having to take the distributor apart repeatedly, etc. With this you just stab it in there, pick a post you want to be number one, set the motor to 10 degrees, align the marking for the chosen post, and lock it down. The physical aspect of this distributor is STUPID simple. Just get a good hold down. I've been chasing my tail because the cheap one I used keeps letting the distributor turn at high RPM. Driving me NUTS.

I keep my motor right around 160 degrees with my current cooling setup. Trying to give the reverse cooling every bit of help it can get to help tame the heat from compression. Again, due to the timing retard at low RPM temperature should not be a problem.

It is fascinating adjusting timing on the tablet and physically seeing/hearing the motor change behavior. My Dad, who is the most old-school / OEM-only kind of guy you'll ever meet can't believe how cool this system is. I plan to play with it a lot more once I get all these little issues fixed.