Project "383 MisFit" Getting the "right" results from the "wrong" parts

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
I missed this thread ..Glad you posted it on another thread.
Very nice results.

Getting back on track here, Thanks Jeff. It really makes one take a step back and look at things in different ways or at another angle.

And it goes to show that port shape, proper size in critical areas and correct air speed in a well design port will make the power it should.

I have witnessed a customer spend 4k on an aluminum head upgrade, bigger/better/more everything only to trade a 15/20 point gain on one end, and loose the exact amount on the other.

In the end, it became quite obvious the "climb was not worth the view" customer tried to justify it, but failed in the end.

Pretty bad when a "top" known aluminum head can't beat an off the shelf economy 305 replacement casting.

Live an learn, it was a great lesson.

jeff swisher

Veteran Member
Apr 26, 2018
Yukon Oklahoma
Getting back on track here, Thanks Jeff. It really makes one take a step back and look at things in different ways or at another angle.

And it goes to show that port shape, proper size in critical areas and correct air speed in a well design port will make the power it should.

I have witnessed a customer spend 4k on an aluminum head upgrade, bigger/better/more everything only to trade a 15/20 point gain on one end, and loose the exact amount on the other.

In the end, it became quite obvious the "climb was not worth the view" customer tried to justify it, but failed in the end.

Pretty bad when a "top" known aluminum head can't beat an off the shelf economy 305 replacement casting.

Live an learn, it was a great lesson.

This is why on my personal vehicles I have not spent my money on aftermarket heads.
I began porting over 30 years ago and have put the hurt on many $$$$ cars.

People have been in my vehicles and commented that they pull harder than their vehicles with such and such High $ aftermarket heads.

I went 20+ years before I ever flowed a head on a flow bench but many head gaskets were sacrificed while pulling my heads on and off over and over tweaking port and chamber shapes
looking for more power.

To this day I have not really wanted an aftermarket head for myself.
Not until I get beat up on bad enough to justify it. :)

Do not get me wrong I am no heavy hitter but for a nice street strip car the stock stuff or stock replacement stuff works very well, when tweaked even better.

Latest posts