Project 8-Oh

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ReorangeCamaro, Jun 27, 2014.

1. ReorangeCamaro

ReorangeCamaro Veteran Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Above: The Day I brought it home...well close enough ...Summer of 1997. [​IMG][/IMG] Above: Today summer of 2014. This is a story about a man no wait... a boy and his car. Well... I caught the bug this summer of 2014. I've been working on this car since I was 16. I've had enough sense to keep it. It was my first car...very sentimental. So this summer, I finally have a place to keep it and a very tight budget to fund this project. Hey it's only been 17 years in the making! And I know my story is not all too original. I had real life events (college, lack of funds, & lack of place to work on it) which prevented me from working on this car. year after year, I still kept my Camaro catalogs handy and my dream alive. Let's fast forward to today. One Friday afternoon when I was home early from work... I had four hours to kill! Then it dawned on me to forget about mowing the stupid lawn. I knew there was stuff I could do for the car right now. So I went down to Advance auto parts and bought the nickel, iron, copper brake lines for the car. Also, stopped at Harbor Freight for a handy dandy flare kit and small pipe cutting tool (for about $10 bucks). But as you can imagine these things take time. To do the front brakes properly I needed to change the rotors, calipers, and all new brake lines. I had already purchased the calipers and rotors about a year ago. So I made a list of things to do.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. ReorangeCamaro

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Here is the list:
    1. Paint Calipers Red (with dupli color caliper paint kit from advance auto)
    2. Remove old calipers, rotors, and rusted brake lines (with the help of liquid wrench)
    3. Remove brush guard fastened by 3 bolts on spindle.
    4. Clean everything (control arms, spindles, and spindle guard) and rust proof (with POR 15 equivalent KBS purchased at NAPA)
    5. Paint exposed control arms, spindles, and spindle guard with KBS semi gloss (made from a former chemist at POR-15)
    6. Bend hard brake lines accordingly using the old ones as reference.
    7. Reassemble....Sounds so easy!

It was pretty easy. Although I forgot (or didn't know about) a couple things like wheel bearings and grease. Also, when I bought the new flex brake lines, I didn't know I didn't have the locking clip to hold the hard line and flex hose to the mounting bracket.
    Oh, and all of this was my first time. I didn't know I could use the races that were already in the rotors. Or that there would be races pre-set in the rotors. I also spoke to a friend the mechanic and he said it was ok to use the races already in the rotors. Thanks to nastyZ28.com and my attitude that if man/woman made it, I can fix it... I worked through what I didn't know. Just do it yourself!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Above: Used a small spray can do bend the coil to a near correct diameter

[​IMG]
    Above: Just a couple adjustments and all is hooked up and functioning! Then as an after thought, maybe I should have put a spring guard on those hard lines. I guess if anything happens...I can always replace now that I know how.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Not bad. All painted and rust proofed.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  3. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

Pics?

4. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Looks good so far.
    I'm confused on the part of getting the bug the summer of 2014.
    Which day are you referring to as summer. LOL
    Keep up the great work.

5. ReorangeCamaro

Then I decided to change all 4 shocks. There was something about the car that didn't sit right with me... that it never sat right. Since the day I bought it, it needed new shocks. Well it needed a lot of new things. Anyways here are a couple before and after of my shock replacement process. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Of course this is also the time when I took a serious look at my under body. Can't wait to POR-15 (or KBS) everything! For now I took care of the rust in areas where the shocks would go. I've got to block out more time to do the rest of the under body treatment.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Yes. Those are factory original spiral shocks. Only about 34 years young. Also, they couldn't even hold up their own weight let alone the weight of a moving Camaro. I think they were only there for moral support. So the leaf springs wouldn't feel so naked.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    And they (red gabriels) are installed. Just had to cut the nut off on the stud of the old shocks. The rear shocks were a breeze as far as getting that stubborn rusty nut off. I used a 3in cutting wheel/tool ($8.99) from Harbor Freight. The other top two 1/2" bolts up in the frame were easy to get off with an impact wrench. The front shocks were not as easy. I had to use a drill to drill through and hammer off the top nut. I'll post that next.

6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glad to hear you are finally able to get some work done on your car. I wish I had kept the 71 that my father bought new.

7. ReorangeCamaro

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I actually replaced the front shocks first. And there was a bit of a learning curve. At first I had tried the vice grip trick. I attached vice grips to prevent the chrome shaft from spinning as I desperately tried to unscrew the 1/2" nut on top. It was a waste of time. The chrome shaft kept spinning no matter how hard I had the vice grips. I mean these shocks are 34 years old! What did I expect? I like picking on the dumb past tense me. Anyways...It dawned on me that I was going to need a plan B. Cut the damn things! I used a drill to drill off the top nut. Worked beautifully. By the time I moved to the other side, I knew better immediately began drilling. You can see the bend in the upper bolt area. It was weakened quite a bit after I had drilled on it for a while.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Installation was a breeze. Just aligned the new u-nuts in place, compressed the shock, placed the shock in place, used an impact wrench to bolt the two bolts on the bottom. I had to press up on the shock a little as I bolted in place. Also, to align the two bolts into the u-nuts, I only tightened each bolt a little each time until the two were even and snug. That's hard to explain but imagine what happens when you completely tighten one bolt on one side and the other hole isn't aligned. Of course I'd love to replace all the rubber bushings at this point. But, I need to do one thing at a time and come back to such projects. Right now I want this thing to roll and stop again. Later, if need be I will replace the $20.00 Gabriel shocks, and the coil springs, and the leaf springs, and the etc.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I went to Fastenal for the U-nuts to replace the J-nuts. The bolts were also replaced even though they didn't have the pointed end. They were still rated for the appropriate level of hardened steel and fit like no ones business. After all, form follows function..right? Also, I'm not going all factory correct or I'd go crazy! In fact, I'm planning on going with Hugger Orange and a slightly off white racing stripes. I guess I like the Orange Creamsicle look! We shall see!

8. ReorangeCamaro

Now... For these rear brakes... Here's a sneak peak at what I'm working on over the 4th of July weekend. New brake lines, drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, and the whole assembly really. I was actually surprised to see some paint left on the inside springs. Not that I plan on keeping the old springs or anything... but interesting. I can only deduce that the rear brakes had been replaced prior to when I had purchased the car...again back in 1997.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Crusty old 3/16" lines! You can see where the leak is. Right at the union. There is another one up further in the 1/4" hard line.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Also... Can't wait to wire wheel ($8.99 at Harbor Freight), rust treat (phosphoric acid), and POR-15 that axle area.

9. ReorangeCamaro

It's been a rainy summer thus far! At least here in Wisconsin. But with a garage and roof overhead, I feel fortunate. Especially, when I think back to the days when I didn't have either!

10. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Just a hint on the front shocks. Take a 1/2 or 9/16 socket which ever size it is on the top of the stud. Add a long extension and bend back and fourth about ten times and they break right off. A few minutes for each side and your done.