Project 8-Oh

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ReorangeCamaro, Jun 27, 2014.

1. ReorangeCamaro

ReorangeCamaro Veteran Member

Camaro Side Emblem Ideas

Which Camaro emblem badge should I go with? Some will say... go with the 1980 original. However, others might say... go with what looks best. I've seen the classic (1st gen) side badges on later 2nd gens and I have to admit, I don't mind that look. But I'm on the fence. All I know is that something new and shiny will look great!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. ReorangeCamaro

Rear bumper Filler Molding Strip

So what is the deal with this design? How did they originally plan on keeping the water/rust out? Any ideas on how we in the 21st century should water proof these gaping holes into the quarter panels. I'm thinking about rubberized spray or some kind of silicone on the inside of the molding strip and where the bolts go into the quarter panel and into the trunk. Any other ideas would be very welcome!!!

From the assembly manual and my memory from 15+ years ago... I don't remember there being a rubber gasket for this molding strip? Should we use a rubber gasket? I think the gaskets pictured below were from the tail light fasteners I pulled from a firebird.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  3. ReorangeCamaro

4. ReorangeCamaro

Rochester Carburetor

Well this is a common problem. Just as a I had problems with my rusty fittings on old rusty brake lines, I also had a problem with a rusty fitting where the fuel line connects with the inside the carb fuel filter.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Advance auto does not have correct size (longer) fuel filter. Instead they sold me a shorter one, which I bought before I disconnected and had a chance to see the actual fuel filter. So I still need to work out where to find a new fuel filter for this Rochester Carb to properly fuel my nasty 305!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fuel line I began bending once I had it out for reference. I'm using 3/8" Line with 5/8" wrench sized fittings on each end. The line cost about $6.00 from Advance Auto. And the tool to bend it was about $11.99 from Menards.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

And finally... The floor is repaired and the carpet is installed! Before the carpet I used 2 rolls of peel and seal for a sound deadner. It was about $16.48 a roll at Lowes. The Carpet was $29.00 from Menards (I think it was 6'x8' chunk of indoor/outdoor black carpet). I followed the instructions from fbodywarehouse youtube video to install. Also.. I've been dreaming (for years!!!!) about installing those sill plates! One sill plate in and one to go. Then the seats... then the new fuel filter and I'm taking this car for a drive! Going to pop in Foo Fighters album Color and the Shape for nostalgic reasons!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  5. ReorangeCamaro

The Camaro is on the Road Again!!!

Finally started driving the Camaro like old times. It's been 16 maybe 17 years since it was really driven last. That's far too long to go without a cool car! Now we take it out for ice cream and other social events. Over the 4th of July Weekend we (Family of 3) took the Camaro out and about. Packed it full (tent included - Got to camp out one night!). In total, we put about 300 to 400 miles on it round trip. Ran great, no problems. Man I can't believe how it really drives so smooth at 65 to 70mph. No need for cruise control when you barely have to move your foot locked in at that speed. The alignment is perfect too. Just an all around good car.

Here is a pic of 1997 and a pic of 2016. (same location)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Here are some random pics all before the 4th of July:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good and enjoy driving it around, even if just on short trips! I will be very happy when I can get mine on the road.

7. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good man!

8. ReorangeCamaro

Thanks! I am very happy too. Proud of every mistake (teachable moments). More proud that I kept the dream alive. It's a good feeling to know what it's like to drive it again. Man it's been too long. For my next project, I'm not going to wait so long. Actually my next project will be smaller. I think I'm going to paint my gas tank on my 1981 Yamaha Virgo.

Good luck on your car. Can't wait to see it done!

9. ReorangeCamaro

Thanks! The dream is still alive after all these years. Now we rarely skip out on bringing the movies back or getting ice cream from our local root beer stand! That's what it's all about!!!

10. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great picture of the packed trunk. Brought back memories of when we would take the Z28 on vacation for a week in the Lake George, NY area.