Project 8-Oh

ReorangeCamaro

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2010
Wisconsin
Paint Process (outlined on a table...such a nerd!)

I'm thinking about using Eastwood paint. Maybe it's their motto "Do it Right," all the youtube how to videos, and/or Nasty Z28 project threads (i.e. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150390). I think it's all of the above. In any case, I am inspired to do it myself. I've read all the Eastwood data sheets and put together a table of my paint process. What I didn't put in between the lines is sanding for when I screw up or if I go a while before applying the next kind of paint (i.e. 2k, color, clear). As you can see I intend to use the hugger orange single stage from Eastwood paint. I still want to add clear for depth and shine. Any input is much appreciated. Hope to shoot color by next summer. For now I will focus on some body work (i.e. I need to replace the driver side fender again).
paintprocess_zps090963a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

vegas1974z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 10, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
I read your whole thread, very nice work! I would think twice about por15 the block and manifold. Your brake lines look excellent!

ReorangeCamaro

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2010
Wisconsin
Pesky Pollutions Controls

vegas1974z28 said:
I read your whole thread, very nice work! I would think twice about por15 the block and manifold. Your brake lines look excellent!

Thanks for the input! I was going to use the high temp paint by POR-15 which is made for manifolds (yet I have no prior knowledge of the durability or quality of painting manifolds). I does seem as though no matter how hot the paint is rated for. The paint would eventually burn off. This was going to be my attempt to clean up the look of the old rusty ones in place. However, I have since decided to replace the old exhaust manifolds all together. The reason, is that I intend to remove the pollution controls (I don't live in California) including to vacuum pump, hoses, etc. This will leave holes in the manifolds. 2 of the pollution lines leading into the manifolds have already broken off. Anyways... My plan is to keep the original 305 (95k miles) for a little while longer (might rebuild it someday). Also I intend to keep it as original as possible, but I will not miss those pesky pollution controls. My conclusion... New manifolds would work and look better!

vegas1974z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 10, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
ReorangeCamaro said:
Thanks for the input! I was going to use the high temp paint by POR-15 which is made for manifolds (yet I have no prior knowledge of the durability or quality of painting manifolds). I does seem as though no matter how hot the paint is rated for. The paint would eventually burn off. !
VHT makes header paint....it works great and does not flake...we were just talking about it this weekend, I must have had the headers out of my car 50 times in the last 4 years and they still look good and no flaking....My point, it'll probably work with manifolds :)

ReorangeCamaro

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2010
Wisconsin
txwooley said:
Nice work you've done there. Can't wait to see more.
Thanks! This is by far a frame off body project (at least for now.. maybe someday!;) ). So I am making strategic decisions to preserve this car based on time, effectiveness, and cost. My short term goal was to make the car drivable and movable again. I haven't really driven it in 14 years! I have accomplished a drivable car by fixing the brakes (the engine still fires up on the 3rd try after sitting a while). I also took it for a short run around the block! Very pleased with the results. The new shocks and brakes work better than I can remember in 17 years!. I'm still kicking around what to do next. So with most of the mechanics in order (it can go and stop :cool: ), I will be working on some body work and priming before winter. I will want this car as straight as can be and ready for paint by next summer. I might also before it gets too cold, address the underbody and subframe by media blasting, wire wheeling, rust converting, and rust sealing with paint. Then by spring I will replace the rubber bushings in the subframe. I am going with the red polyurethane ones. I will likely begin work on my custom made inner door panels as a winter project (just to keep busy). Maybe order new tale light gaskets.... new sill plates, new carpet.... oh wait I still need to order the eastwood paint for the car by spring (sost not to leave it on a shelf too long)... and money doesn't grow on trees! The list goes on. One piece at a time! If I screw up... I'll do it over the right way (assuming I learned from my mistakes! :confused: ).

ReorangeCamaro

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2010
Wisconsin
vegas1974z28 said:
VHT makes header paint....it works great and does not flake...we were just talking about it this weekend, I must have had the headers out of my car 50 times in the last 4 years and they still look good and no flaking....My point, it'll probably work with manifolds :)

Good point. I'll probably go with a close match to corporate blue for the rest of the engine where appropriate and maybe some kind of "it looks like fresh iron" grey for the headers. http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

ReorangeCamaro

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2010
Wisconsin
strolltroll said:
Where in Wisconsin did you find a junk yard with Camaros in it? None here in Minnesota.

In Neenah Wi. I think its called Gibsons. Are you looking for anything specific? I might be able to help. I have taken full inventory of what is there. I'll tell you it is an intrinsic experience to pick the parts yourself. Just the act in itself is rewarding. But these are the words of an obsessed camaro nerd.

strolltroll

Jan 7, 2014
Stillwater, MN
Oh, Neenah Wi. That's way over there. I have purchased pretty much everything I need. Know what you mean about junk yards, love em. Can spend lots of time there getting cables/bolts/plastic pieces that make a repair correct. Camaros in junk yards here are long gone. To bad, I could spend lots of time "picking" on them. If I need anything I'll PM ya. Thanks

Latest posts