Project 8-Oh

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ReorangeCamaro, Jun 27, 2014.

1. ReorangeCamaro

ReorangeCamaro Veteran Member

Monza Mania!!!

By the way... The arm rest believed to be from the Monza is black.

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your welding skills are definitely better than mine but then I've only done some quick test welds to make sure my welder actually works. I'm sure both of us will get better with practice!

3. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one learning to weld......but it doesn't look bad at all.

4. ReorangeCamaro

Thanks for the words of encouragement! It is a good feeling to know you're not the only one! Yet we're still brave enough to try it.....try, try again if we must. Anyway, this sort of welding is all about adding structure and strength. Its not like these welds need to float a boat (hold water) or pass an xray or some kind of unattainable standard. The way I see it, we just need to melt some steel together and feather out any imperfections. Bam! Good for another 30 to 40 years!

5. ReorangeCamaro

Hood Hinges are done!

I bought these hood hinges at a swap meet a few years ago. Finally got around to cleaning them up and painting them! Might use them only because they are clean and painted now...whereas the hinges on the car now are not clean and painted.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

6. ReorangeCamaro

Quick Picture of how the car sits today.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ever try to fool your friends into thinking you just bought a 1969 Camaro? I should have taken this picture in the driveway maybe instead of the backyard sidewalk!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I can cross off the hood hinges...but here are a few things on the to do next list...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. ReorangeCamaro

Keeping the dream alive!

A couple pictures I borrowed to see what my car might look like with slightly off white stripes. We'll see what I end up doing in the end! Might just stick with regular white.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Any progress updates? Are you going with the SS stripes? I am on the fence. I hate doing stuff that's almost....overdone.

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I'd go with the original orange stripes if painting orange,charcoal stripes also look nice,rally stripes look off to me on late 2nd gens.

10. ReorangeCamaro

Stripes

Yes, I will be going with the classic SS stripe look. I agree it is overdone and looks best on the shorter nose of an early 1970's 2nd gen (and first gen!). However, I fell in love with this striped look when I was young... now I can't see it any other way. It's stubbornly set in stone. I will put one twist to it though. I'm going with the Wimbledon White. A classic color for mustangs I believe. But juxtaposed with the red (hugger) orange paint, I think it will again give it a classic dreamsicle (creamsicle) look. We shall see once it's in paint!

Here is what the car would look like if I didn't put any stripes and left it factory original (still not a bad look!).
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

But as mentioned... I do like those stripes so this is what I'm going for...
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

But... I'm not sure how crazy I am about the stripes going all the way down the nose. I think it would look better going down about mid way like the 1970. My point is the stripes should look like they are part of the hood... and not like they are part of the bumper too. So if you were sitting on the ground in front of the car, you would see only the last few inches of the stripes. I might follow the early 70s diagram for reference. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I also like the rounded look on the rear spoiler.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Some references:
    http://www.futureclassicsnj.com/closeup.cfm?id=1070&type=sold&page=20&a=19742

http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/auctions/detail/251116649677/