project 81forme started

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 81forme, Sep 4, 2011.

1. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

Welcome back to the fight Jason. :happy:

Tamraz sells JRS springs. I have their 4-leaf Z28 replacements in my car. Fairy stiff, but not bone-jarring. Decent quality. Certainly better than my sagged out base model originals. The 5-leaf stockers have a softer 89 lb/in rate. JRS also makes a 125 lb/in 5-leaf F41 replacement model.

JC Whitney also carries those springs and IIRC reviewers there were reporting that JRS recently started producing them in Michigan again (mine were made in India). The reviews also state that the newer springs don't have a pre-installed front eye bushing (mine did). Might want to read the reviews at JCW for the latest info.

Let us know what you decide to get.

:bowtie:

2. 81forme

81forme Veteran Member

Got my new leaf springs on tuesday. Cant wait to get this winter over so I can get back at the car. Wondering if anyone can help me with a u bolt question. They list 3.5" and 4" for the camaro's. Do they measure od or center to get the right ones? Mine are 3.5" center and 4" od. Called a couple places and they weren't much help. Thanks for checking in hope to get back at it soon so I have some pictures to put up.

3. 81forme

81forme Veteran Member

Do I need to use the 2 u-bolt 4 t-bolt setup on the rear axle or can I go with 4 u-bolts and eliminate the t-bolts? Wondering what you guys have done?

4. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Look on page 7 & 8 on my build thread and I have a few pics of when I installed mine. I bought a install kit with the springs from Tamraz on Ebay and it uses 2 u-bolts and 4 t-bolts. Hope it helps. Glad to see you back at it!

5. 81forme

81forme Veteran Member

finally was nice enough to get outside today and get back at the car a little. felt good getting some work done on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

went with the 4 u-bolts instead of 2 u-bolts and t-bolt setup.

[​IMG]

haven't done any tightening on the u-bolts yet. will the gap close up when i do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 81forme

81forme Veteran Member

picked up a th350 to replace the th250c that the v-6 had. going to start tearing into the engine soon and get that to the machine shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any suggestions for if I should put a shift improver kit or put the trans pack in it? wondering if anyone used either of them and if so if you like either of them?

7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those headers are going to look Awesome coming straight up out of the hood. If you put spark plugs on the 02 bungs with an in the dash igniter you will be able to blow wicked huge flames out of them at night...very mad max!

8. 81forme

81forme Veteran Member

I wish I could run with them but the cops would probaly have me before I would get two blocks from my house. Planning on putting them on and seeing how it sounds. :brightide:

9. ls1jorge

ls1jorge Member

nice project build you have going on man, What did you use to sand down or clean off the dirt & old paint build up from under undercarriage? I need to do the same to mine as well & replace both rear floor boards

10. 81forme

81forme Veteran Member

Thanks. I used a 4" angle grinder with a wire wheel. Not the cup style but the one that the wires come straight out of it. My car had the rubberized undercoating so it took more than a few hours to remove to say the least. Glad I did it but glad I'm done with that part. Good luck on yours and I will have to stop and check out your progress thread.