Project code name - Never Satisfied

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981LT1, Jan 7, 2017.

Shaved Door Handles?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You must be getting a little excited, to fire this thing off!! I know I would be .

Scott Sievers likes this.
  2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Like the lights . Everything's looking real nice. Did they come as a kit ? Debating the purchase along with some new headlamps

3. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lights did not come as a kit. I pieced them together. The backup lights didn't fit so I am sourcing a new set of those. Everything else worked though.

4. 1981LT1

No engine start today. My fuel level gauge wasn't working so I had to drop the tank and clean the sending unit (right after I put 5 gallons of gas in it). I got that working but my oil pressure gauge and water temp aren't working either. The oil is pegging to the right which tells me it grounding out as soon as I turn the key on and the temp is sitting at 150 with the key on. I have spent a few hours trying to figure this out and I'm not going to start the engine if I can't verify oil pressure. I know the gauges work cuz I can disconnect the sending units and the needle swings back to 0. I can only assume the sending unit is bad since the gauge cluster hasn't been modified and it was working when I took the car apart. I'm also getting some "tach noise" code on my FiTech so I need to troubleshoot that too.

5. 1981LT1

I baught cheap mechanical oil gauge and ended up cranking the engine several times for about 10 seconds each time. The gauge finally started to move so at least I know I have pressure. Now the engine won’t start. I’m getting a lot of sputtering and even a couple backfires through the intake. After some troubleshooting I found my passenger coil harness was backwards but it’s still sputtering. I’m going to reflash the ecm tomorrow and start over. I know the injectors are correct and now I know the coils are correct. The only thing it can be is the base timing.

6. dave@ztech

Is it a normal firing sequence? and the plug wires are all in the right spot?

7. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

It's an LS, so mixing up plug wires is impossible. After experiencing the same symptoms, I swapped both of my coil harnesses around and it fired right up. Even with a far-off tune, it should start.

[email protected] likes this.
  8. 1981LT1

I got it running and it seems to be idling pretty good. I had to separate my battery cables from the fitech harness and it seems that did the trick. Crisp throttle response and no leaks so now I have to focus on getting my gauges fixed and re-wrapping my harness. Then the tuning begins cuz it’s burning my eyes right now.

9. 1981LT1

Took some quick videos of the engine running yesterday...

hubedobeedo and 80sz like this.
  10. dave@ztech

Sounds GREAT, and really such a beautiful job you have done painting that beast, even after the intake mishap, you have persevered, and made a beautiful engine bay!!

hubedobeedo likes this.