Project "I must be Insane"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76 for 26, Sep 1, 2017.

1. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

So...after a long delay...back at it. Quick question..I have the whole floor out and trunk floor also coming out. Looks like I'm gonna have to remove the package tray to get to the back spot welds. If I do all that..the intermediate pan between the two floors had rot as well and will likely replace. Do you remove the outer spot welds by drilling through the inner wheel well (looks like panel sandwiched in between inner wheel well and shock brace)? Assuming the correct sequence for reassembly will be to install the intermediate pan and then work forward and back?

2. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

IMG_0536.JPG Panel I'm referring to.

simso likes this.
  3. simso

simso Veteran Member

I like your dedication.

I would drill through the inner wheel well.

Steve

4. Duka2

Duka2 New Member

Sounds way to familiar. Have a 74 that needs all the things you mentioned. Have mine torn down and in process of removing bad metal. to the point of i now have to build the jig to hold car together. will try to start posting pics.

5. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

766A03C1-93E0-4E45-A8D3-7938A67A1146.jpeg 766A03C1-93E0-4E45-A8D3-7938A67A1146.jpeg A7E0DE88-7042-4650-892C-92CC6EAD6ED1.jpeg C9C52781-52EC-4F5B-9C9B-1C3B398F8EF8.jpeg Been slowly chipping away at the project over the past year, but made some progress. set Of used frame rails, new floor pan, intermediate pan, and firewall currently being welded in. Had to take all down to metal as found rust on new panels and didn’t want to risk it. Sandblasted (myself...not fun) all new panels and shell and threw on some spi epoxy (those guys are great and Barry responds to calls within hours). Here are some pics just prior to starting the reassembly process. Thought I’d cut out the seatbelt hump and modify the floor pan now since everything was out and accessible (instead of hammering on them later. Made a couple makeshift 2x4 trams and I thing everything is aligned. Had some trouble as yaftermarket parts not so great. One of the torque boxes was welded in slightly ahead of the one on the other side. I was able to tweak and cheat to get square. One question I do have though is the front spring pocket bolt (middle) to rear shackle mount hole in frame rails is 1/16 short of 55 5/8 on both sides...this ok? I can’t cheat anymore without cutting out torque boxes, which I do not want to do unless absolutely necessary.

6. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

I’ll post some progress pics tomorrow on panel install. Kind of shooting a bit in the blind going forward though...lost my disassembly photos and notes in one shot. Had both sitting on the step of my step side and forgot about it. Went for a cruise and bam...gone. Oh well...glad I made/built in reference points on my jig that should save me (metal drop downs to various points such as seat track bolts). One of the reasons it’s been a slow go. Brain fart equals limited motivation for a period of time.

Smokey15 likes this.
  7. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

I love the progress. I will be doing the floor and firewall to my 72 later this year. Keep up the great work.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

This pic tells everything is where it is supposed to be. If all is plumb here, you can build up to the body with it.

9. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

I’m a little concerned as my “H” measurement is a hair (1/16 ish) above 55 1/2. It is the same on both passenger and driver side. Hoping it should be fine as I have always heard as long as within 1/8...should be good as factory was never spot on.

10. AEGIS43

AEGIS43 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This thread just popped up in my email as "Trending," so this story is all new to me. I wish I could shake your hand and buy you a half rack (Pacific Northwest slang for 12 pack of beer). Your ambition is mind blowing. I won't say I covet your shop, but I'll say how unbelievably beautiful it is. I looked for the posters you have hanging in it, but didn't see any in the earlier posts. #sadface

Okay, has anyone suggested Detroit Speed subframe connectors for your car? I did quickly read the earlier three and a half pages of posts but could have missed it if you already mentioned that you want to restore it to as came from Chevrolet.

Btw - I LOVE the Cragars you had on it 3 years ago when you started :)