Project Old Soul 71 build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by C4Racer, Oct 26, 2018.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Welp - here we go folks. T56 Magnum close ratio trans, clutch, hydraulic TO bearing and shifter all headed my way from Bowler! Planning some time starting Saturday to get started on pulling the motor out.

2. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Awesome car to start with, love the progress... Can't wait to see the install of the trans, looking at doing that conversion myself..
    Do you know what color that is on the car?

3. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

No. But I wish I did. I have some mirrors I’d like to paint to match at some point. I was going to stop by the shop that painted it more than 10 years ago and see if they have any clue. If I find out I will let you know.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Oh and wheels will be updated too if I didn’t mention. Might use the same ones or might use CCW FM5 or Rocket Racing attack. Going 18” to clear the brakes I’m going to be running and to give more tire size selection in the rear 285/295 eventually 315 when I convert to coil overs and 4 link or similar.

5. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Motor is out and TH350 w/ manual valvebody and 10" B&M converter is sold and gone.

Time to reseal up the engine, test fit the canton road race pan with headers and then with chassis. Do some engine bay clean-up. Actually it's pretty clean - mainly need to remove the No2 system and going to change to an electric fuel pressure sensor rather than the isolator set-up the car has. Some minor grease clean-up engine bay, retouch a few areas with paint - nothing major. Might also look replacing oil cooler and/or lines - used a combo trans / oil cooler so won't need the trans portion. Also move to an elec. speedo rather than mechanical for ease of connection to T56 and ability to re-program with gearing changes.

What else - I better start a white board list here... Plenty to keep me busy for a few months considering I am also going to be upgrading brakes while it's all apart and maybe some suspension items.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Test fit the C4 road race pan from canton in the chassis. Fits well but found out I need a new one because I have a pass side dipstick version 80-85 and I need a drivers side. So nice that chevy made that change in the block for no good reason !!

Anyway. Plan to use the G body pan which is 1/2” deeper (crossmember will be 1” lower than pan) and is also 7 quart. Seems to be the canton pan most folks are using on early camaros. One more thing to order.
    15-250

I guess the 15-260 will also fit but uses a longer sump. I may just use that one. Same size sump as the C4 which fits no problem. Same depth as the G body pan. 8 qt total capacity.

Found a 1/2” long tip of the oil dipstick in the bottom of the pan. That’s not a good thing floating around your motor. Glad I got that out.

Otherwise bottom end looks all good. I had to replace the inner bolts on 2 of the main caps to remove the long stand up bolts for the old windage tray.. New pan has that all integrated so isn’t needed and it hits. Luckily I had a full set of arp stud kit - both heads and mains. So used 4 of those studs and replaced one at a time. Will re-use the oil pump that was in the motor. Is a high volume HV55. Seems to work fine. Will get the proper pick up for the canton pan. Uses a different one than the C4 pan too. Oh well can’t always reuse old parts you have laying around. You do what you can.

T56 is on a truck somewhere between AR and here. Delayed so maybe running into weather issues somewhere.

7. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Oh and interesting find. Motor Mounts are welded on to frame to lower engine maybe 1/2” or so. Not sure why. But seems that should help with pinion angle and tunnel surgery with the T56 install.

8. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

parts arriving like mad - I am keeping the delivery companies around here in business it seems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine pretty close to ready - finishing sealing it all back up. New oil cooler adapter plumbed. Found that and some -10 hose from a left over project so might as well use it. New front timing cover. All new gaskets.
    Swapped on Comp Cams rocker arms rather than the Harland Sharps that were on the motor - because I had them sitting around.

One snafu on the flywheel - turns out this is an externally balanced 400, even with an aftermarket crank.
    So ordered a RAM billet steel flywheel - 25lbs, because CF didn't make the 21lb lighter billet for this application.
    New Fluidyne oil cooler also on the way.

Summit is getting a whole pile of $250-ish and $500-ish orders from me today before the ALWAYS discount expires!

Brakes and wheels ordered - more on that later.

9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Motor all buttoned up and ready to go back in. Also swapped on a CNC ported version of the Vr. Jr. it had, so minor upgrade there. This one is ported to a 1205 so is a better match to the TFS 195 heads. Has been sitting on a shelf for 15 years + so why not put it back to some good use? Might even pick up 10-15hp out of the deal! For free!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Got the new flywheel today. Ram 25lb lightweight billet steel SFI approved. For 400 ext balance crank. They remove weight opposite side of where factory adds it to create the balance via large drilled holes.
    I suppose I could have had that done at a machine shop on the other one. Oh well.

One annoyance. Ram specs a 1” flywheel bolt. Which I have in my old inventory. But that length hits the block. So it really needs a .875” bolt. Which of course is the most expensive one arp makes. Probably the least common.

It’s always something. I’ll wait until the next couple thing I find out I need that I didn’t know about show up to meet the summit $99 free shipping threshold. Guaranteed it will be something or another or two or three.