Project Rusty - 1975 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Clay K, Nov 15, 2018.

1. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice detailed work, nice skills , wish I knew how to weld.

2. Clay K

Clay K Member

I was having some surface rust issues where I had stripped the car. So this weekend I sprayed the bare metal with Summit Racing epoxy primer. IMG_1219.jpg IMG_1220.jpg IMG_1221.jpg IMG_1222.jpg

hubedobeedo and roadrace2 like this.
  3. Clay K

Clay K Member

Here is a shot before the primer.
    IMG_1126.jpg

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

Clean work! Love it.

5. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Veteran Member

This door jam repair looks amazing. Very nice work!

upload_2019-7-16_8-2-12.png

My '79 has a similar issue. The inner support is cracked near the jam nut. That's allowed the door to move and that movement cracked the exterior metal as a result. It's been that way for years, and I really want to fix it. Does anyone know if the inner support looks the same on a '79?

upload_2019-7-16_8-3-33.png

I was thinking that it was a smaller piece welded in behind the door jam... I'd feel a lot more comfortable tackling the project if the inner support on my '79 looks similar to Clay's pictures, now that I've seen them.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Clay K

Clay K Member

Thanks Scrap--Metal. I'm not sure what the '79 structure looks like. Here is a shot looking out. You should be able to take the vent off and look inside with a mirror and see if it looks the same.

IMG_1229.jpg

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. Clay K

Clay K Member

I've been looking into what it will take to replace the trunk pan. So, everything that I have seen shows the taillight panel being off for the replacement. Can the taillight panel be put into place without removing the tail pan? If so, do you put it in from the bottom?

8. Clay K

Clay K Member

It's been a while since I've posted anything. A lot has happened though there isn't a lot to show. I found a parts car that I could get the tail light finish panel along with some other parts from it. I spent quite a bit of time tearing it apart and figuring out what I could use.

I started fitting my floor pans. I liked the way it is fitting until I looked towards the back of the panel where it ties into the torque box. It looks like the transition to the rear seat pan is 1/2 inch too far forward. I guess I'll be cutting the pan and splicing in an extension to get it in the right place.
    IMG_20190921_201031.jpg IMG_20190921_201051.jpg IMG_20190921_201144.jpg IMG_20190921_201338.jpg

Also, I finally got the engine I planned to used from my dad's house. I was hoping that I could just freshen it up and have an inexpensive motor to get me going. Unfortunately, when I pulled the heads off I saw that water had gotten into 3 of the cylinders and rusted them. So, I'll need to tear it the rest of the way down and see if the cylinders can be salvaged. So much for a cheap motor...

[email protected] likes this.
  9. Clay K

Clay K Member

After much contemplation, I cut the floor pan and fit it to the torque box area. Now I need to cut out my fillers and weld it up.
    IMG_20190922_210455.jpg

10. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

The guy who "fixed" your floor must have been the same guy who did mine. I'm looking forward to seeing how you replace your left inner rocker. I regret starting to patch mine the way I am, I think it would have been much easier to just replace the whole panel at this point. I have some pictures of my floors and rocker in my thread here, feel free to critique.
    http://nastyz28.com/threads/77-type-lt-budget-build.324250/