Proper burnout with TH350

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by andy736, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Exactly as the last 2 posts wrote.
    If the dampness moves in, you may have an extra revolution or 2, and your 60' is off, but MPH is fine.
    Even with the cooler charge, and extra HP, ET will still go up.

If the 60 is the same or higher AND mph is off, then you lost HP, and with the cooler charge your tune up is choking you down.

Or 100 other things just could of happened, and you won't know until next race???

2. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used to do a lot of these:
    [​IMG]Great fun, fans go wild, intimidates buddy in other lane... makes for a lot of this...

[​IMG]

I slowed down and learned to do these quick 2-3 gear 4-6000rpm burnouts...
    [​IMG]
    And I could still get the fans happy with noise, and the tires happy with heat.
    [​IMG]

3. andy736

andy736 Veteran Member

Yeah guys, I'm going to look at my slips tonight, and look at the actual time of the night each run took place. I know that I spun a little on my last two runs.
    I feel as if though my mph should be up a bit though. I'm only gaining 20mph from 1/8 to the 1/4. Does everything seem to line up time wise from the slip I posted, or does something look off?

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I would actually gain MPH when my wheel speed went too high, but not enough to abort the pass.
    So like I said, it could be 1 of a hundred things, but the most common are bad 60', bad et.
    Bad MPH, bad HP.

5. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Andy, I gain about 24mph from 1/8 to 1/4 101-102 to 125-126. I think when I was running 13's it was about 20mph.....

6. andy736

andy736 Veteran Member

Gotcha. Well, gonna do some suspension work to help 60'. Removed sway bar, gonna lower the front about a 1" to get some more travel. Double checking to make sure front end moves free. And, play with caltrac settings, and tire PSI. Should be hitting the track one more time this season. Going to try some different jetting, and timing while there too.
    I want to wring whatever I can out of it current condition. We did have a 20-25 mph head wind that night as well. It's alot of fun to see what little changes make.

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What do you have your Cal tracs set at right now , do you have any preload adjustment . Also do you have the bars on the lower hole or upper hole . The upper hole will hit the tires harder and the lower hole is a softer hit . If you read Calvert Racing website they mention that you need 5" of travel in the front suspension for their suspension to work it's best

Also you mentioned tire press and I see you're running 275/60-15 drag radials , these work the best between 14-18psi at the track

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  8. andy736

andy736 Veteran Member

Well, they are my own copy of caltrac...but pretty much identical. I actually have 3 holes on mine, currently in bottom hole. Gonna move to the middle which equals to be between upper and lower on real caltrac. I definitely have enough front travel, but no 90/10 shocks at this point. I ran 18 PSI in Radials. Gonna drop a few pounds next time and see what happens. I'm going through front end this week to make sure everything moves freely.

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not having a 90/10 shock is hurting your weight transfer and I would drop the pressure down to 15 psi So you can get those tires to hook

10. mrnitrous

mrnitrous Veteran Member

I have had the same TH350 in my car for over 12 years and a hundred or so passes and have always done the 1-2-3 burnout. shifting in the burnout about 5K or so - never had a problem, the only time i broke a sprag was driving it on the street, trans has so much line pressure that if I shift it into 2nd at the wrong rpm or not on full throttle... after i did that twice i learned how to drive it on the street as to not do that & it hasn't broke in 6 yrs. :crazy: