PSA - Repop '70 Dome Light

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by l16pilot, May 15, 2021.

1. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Parts Place recently introduced a reproduction 1970-only dome light base and lens which is awesome since originals are typically faded or brittle/broken from the incandescent bulb heat. However, there is a slight problem with The Parts Place version. The entire base is vacuum metalized chrome and the dome light terminals snap directly into that base. Yup, direct short! After about two hours of carefully scraping the chrome plating from around the terminals, I was able to make the base functional and safe. I called The Parts Place and reported this issue, but for those that have already purchased the item, beware. Also, as a disclaimer, I purchased my dome light assembly when first introduced last approx a year ago, so subsequent items may have been corrected. Repop Dome light mod 1.jpg Repop Dome light mod.jpg

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks Steve for the heads up. I too purchased one for my L78 restoration. I will have to inspect it thoroughly before I install it.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Thanks for the heads up, Steve. A problem like this would drive most folks crazy trying to track it down. How would you rate the rest of the reproduction quality? They should send you a refund for doing the last bit of quality control. Are you going with an LED bulb to reduce the heat load?

4. l16pilot

Dave - actually, its a very nice part. The only thing I wish they had done was paint the black inset accent ring. No biggie, I just taped it off and sprayed it black. Otherwise, spot-on. Oh, and yes, I am using an LED bulb...both in the dome light and console lamp for the reason you mention ;). I didn't ask for a refund...I just hope they fix the issue.

5. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

For some reason, there have been issues going WAY back with the plating on dome light housings and GM even put out service bulletins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the service bulletin they are talking about battery drain which can occur if just the ground side of the bulb is going to ground through the plating. If the hot side goes to ground, then a short is made and should blow the fuse in the fuse block.

Jim

70lt1z28 and l16pilot like this.
  6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure my last repop was like that and had no issues. Does that metalize coating have electrical continuity?

7. l16pilot

Yup

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Should send this to to The Parts Place.

9. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

You would have "thought" they would know about this but who knows. Maybe what the OP got was something that had an issue but was one out of 1,000 and the Parts place takes that as an acceptable problem to where you send it back and get another. Who knows, they might have 2 bucks into it and they sell it for 40 bucks.

I went a few rounds with another supplier after purchasing an upholstery kit for the front and rear seats and knew I needed new hog rings and they had in their site had a kit advertised with the deluxe crimp tool AND enough rings to do a complete upholstery kit but when I got it there was not enough rings to do just the bottom of the back seat !!!!!. I called them and they said, well I would have to buy more rings and I said you have it printed that what I bought would be enough and it's not and we went round and round and they FINALLY sent more rings at no charge and "said" they would change the ad but now after 4+ years it still reads the same in the ad.

Jim

T/A Tom and [email protected] like this.
  10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Accurate reproduction of early '70 dome light... Complete with factory flaw! :confused:

Are the 70 dome lights actually held to the roof with screws?
    The late 2nd gens have studs threaded into the roof with clips slid over them to retain the fixture.

The bulletin instructs you to also remove the metal film from the screw head areas.
    I don't see why that would be necessary.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    T/A Tom likes this.