Purchasing a crate engine, who do you guys suggest or have used ?

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Got the Blueprint 430/450 to 383. Have had it for 3 year no problems. Added better heads and a lil hotter cam to it. It responded admirably. Also add D.U.I. Distributor with a curve set up for my application. Going into the engine found no surprises or sub standards parts. If I could ever master tuning my carb….
Curious, were you able to observe how wide its rings are ? Pistons; hyper or forged ?

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
Any opinions on Smeding? They use a brand new GM block. Unfortunately they seem to use no-name parts for the rotating assembly. The crank and rods are forged. Blueprint uses no name parts too and they seem to be popular. I’m very interested in Smedings 383 short block.

Last edited:

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Popular doesn't necessarily equate to quality.
Lotsa advertising and plugs on boy racer shows and car mags's "tech" articles generates lotsa popularity.

challenge: read the entire published warranties (and conditions/requirements) from the popular crate brands; in the end, one stands head & shoulders above all others.

Granted, it's sooo easy to spend what seems small $ for good performance numbers. Especially so when purchaser has little to no hands on experience; nor time or inclination to become more than an observer. It's just too easy.

BTW, when the local auto machine shops don't have enough work to remain profitable; they'll have auctioned-off their equipment & liquidated by the next time you really need them.

suggest consider GM's crates; including their 383 versions.

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
Popular doesn't necessarily equate to quality.
Lotsa advertising and plugs on boy racer shows and car mags's "tech" articles generates lotsa popularity.

challenge: read the entire published warranties (and conditions/requirements) from the popular crate brands; in the end, one stands head & shoulders above all others.

Granted, it's sooo easy to spend what seems small $ for good performance numbers. Especially so when purchaser has little to no hands on experience; nor time or inclination to become more than an observer. It's just too easy.

BTW, when the local auto machine shops don't have enough work to remain profitable; they'll have auctioned-off their equipment & liquidated by the next time you really need them.

suggest consider GM's crates; including their 383 versions.
Agree On the advertising (fancy websites). The GM 383s look very tempting.

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
The GM 383s look very tempting.

It's hard to go wrong with their stuff. My ZZ4 lasted 20 years... I'm driving the car even less now, so the 383 will probably last me the rest of my life (or until the modern day Soviets ban gas powered cars). They are a little pricey though.

My HT383 short block actually came with the SP383 cam in it (which was a plus, since it wasn't advertised like that). $4700 to the door. Since I used my existing heads, sold a bunch of parts (the ZZ4 short block, the SP383 cam, the LT1/ZZ4 balancer, and a couple other parts totalling around $600), I was able to buy a new cam, new lifters, gaskets, oil, and the other peripherals and still come in right at around $5000 complete. Not bad for a complete aluminum headed 383.

Just the long block at Summit is $6500 with no manifold and iron Vortec heads.

The more complete engine with aluminum heads... yikes...

Last edited:

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
It's hard to go wrong with their stuff. My ZZ4 lasted 20 years... I'm driving the car even less now, so the 383 will probably last me the rest of my life (or until the modern day Soviets ban gas powered cars). They are a little pricey though.

My HT383 short block actually came with the SP383 cam in it (which was a plus, since it wasn't advertised like that). $4700 to the door. Since I used my existing heads, sold a bunch of parts (the ZZ4 short block, the SP383 cam, the LT1/ZZ4 balancer, and a couple other parts totalling around $600), I was able to buy a new cam, new lifters, gaskets, oil, and the other peripherals and still come in right at around $5000 complete. Not bad for a complete aluminum headed 383.

Just the long block at Summit is $6500 with no manifold and iron Vortec heads.

The more complete engine with aluminum heads... yikes...

wow. Interesting that your short block came with the SP383 cam. That’s the cam I would pick. Did you buy it from Scoggin D ?

Latest posts