Purchasing a new distributor - Need Recommendation

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I wanted a new one when I put the ZZ383 in, so:
I bought a GMPP complete distributor. $260.00
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chev...zuvYLerBXQ1RLenMxAuLSgoxxzegkV-BoC5fgQAvD_BwE
Found out it DID NOT have a adjustable vacuum advance . So bought one. Accel. $34.00
Found out the coil on it was garbage. It took out the module. So bought Accel coil and module. $70.00 and $60.00
Lesson here is don't be like me.....and have to spend like $ 450.00 for a stupid HEI

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
fwiw
large, coil-in-cap HEI internal parts ... Standard Ignition brand aka SMP parts are as good as any
coil = DR-31
internal harness = RC-4
pickup/reluctor = LX-302
module = LX-301

2ndGenCrazy

Veteran Member
Aug 18, 2011
Upstate New York
MSD makes awesome distributors , just stay away from their Street Fire distributors that are made in China .... they're junk !!!!

I'm running a MSD Pro Billet mech adv distributor #85551 and a MSD 7AL2 Gold box on my Shafiroff racing 427sbc
I'm pretty much convinced that there is no end of line functional tests performed on China made goods before they ship. I have seen more than one distributor that did not work right out of the box. The last two I installed were the $400 plus MSD fully adjustable HEI units for street cars replacing new units that didn't run right. One car was on MSD cheapo number two on a new engine build.

cadillac_al

Veteran Member
Apr 22, 2015
Maine
I'm glad Skip White still has them. I have about five of them and they all work great. Last time I was on Skips site I didn't see any distributors and thought he quit selling them.

Da_Raabi

Veteran Member
Jan 19, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
So, and bear with me here, have you thought about trying the Progression Ignition distributor? I've got one on my Gen2 LT1, and while I cannot comment on longevity (just got it running a couple months ago), the features are pretty snazzy and it really makes tuning easy.

v2_2screen.png

That's a stock image from their site, but it shows the interface really well. The gauges page is really handy for monitoring and tuning, and it's very interesting watching the little bouncing ball on the timing table bounce around as the motor revs etc, showing the exact timing as it relates to manifold pressure and RPM.

I use a tablet to control mine in order to get more screen space, but it works on phones just fine too.

Made in USA right down the road from in me in Edgewater FL apparently!

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
So, and bear with me here, have you thought about trying the Progression Ignition distributor? I've got one on my Gen2 LT1, and while I cannot comment on longevity (just got it running a couple months ago), the features are pretty snazzy and it really makes tuning easy.

v2_2screen.png

That's a stock image from their site, but it shows the interface really well. The gauges page is really handy for monitoring and tuning, and it's very interesting watching the little bouncing ball on the timing table bounce around as the motor revs etc, showing the exact timing as it relates to manifold pressure and RPM.

I use a tablet to control mine in order to get more screen space, but it works on phones just fine too.

Made in USA right down the road from in me in Edgewater FL apparently!
I would absolutely do that in a second if it wasnt for duty, brokerage, exchange, shipping, etc. I love the idea of being able to program the timing to exactly what I want.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
great concept ... all the electronics are unique to that brand dist ... and, when they do hiccup; you're stuck.

recall it was Mallory a few years back, came out w/ an HEI look-alike but it had different curves via internal electronics. Great idea? Nope, it's junk and was soon dropped from product line.

OTOH, a good coil-in-cap OE-type HEI is Very stout and All its parts are readily-available for small $

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
I still like using a timing light, once setup, your good for a long time.

+ I need to get away from the GD Iphone, nice to use other tools sometimes LOL.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
recall it was Mallory a few years back, came out w/ an HEI look-alike but it had different curves via internal electronics. Great idea? Nope, it's junk and was soon dropped from product line.
I mean - it was a Mallory distributor they have a reputation to live up to

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I mean - it was a Mallory distributor they have a reputation to live up to
Yes, I would think anything Mallory makes would have been better designed and manufactured. But for something of the time, that was probably a big departure from the norm that needed to be farmed out to an electronics mfg.

Latest posts