Push button start.....why?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80sz, Mar 24, 2021.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Why can’t we just have a key. I can’t stand the new cars with the push button start/gotta have key fob in special spot in glove box/ some are like lego pieces you fit together it’s annoying. Sure some super safe gadgetry but give me a key. What’s the great benefit of push start?

chevyJeff1 and gramps like this.
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

There is no benefit.
    Things change on vehicles just for the sake of being different. Back in the 1940s, our farm tractors had pushbutton start and a mechanical switch to turn off the ignition. Then, someone decided that a key would make them more secure. So, they added a key along with the pushbutton. It added security but complicated it to have a key and a pushbutton. Then, around the 50s, someone came up with another change and gave us a key that served both functions to simplify it to a single device. So, it changed again. That was good enough until recently when they decided to change again and complicate it beyond recognition by taking away the key and backgrading it to a pushbutton again, but this time needed a full blown computer to control ignition power.
    So, as I already stated, "there is no benefit", but we "change".

La.Z8, 80sz and roadrace2 like this.
  3. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

So.......Gary......what your saying is, back to the basics.....with change!!! :D <----smart ass smile

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

What are you talking about "having to have the key fob in a special spot"? What manufacturer requires that? Seriously - I don't know of any manufacturer that has that foolishness with their keyless start.

I speak from personal experience, because in just the last month I have driven keyless start vehicles from Land Rover, BMW, Subaru, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Hyundai, Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Ram without having to put the key fob in a "special place" (my other retirement PT gig is at a Chevy/Cadillac dealership and I sometimes move new, used and service customer cars).

It's a welcome feature to me. Instead of having multiple bulky key fobs in my pocket, I have two lightweight key fobs. I don't ever have to take them out of my pocket, just simply push a button on the door to get in and push a button to start the vehicle. My wife loves it because she doesn't ever have to take her key fobs out of her purse.

Simple, safe and reliable.

Do you like keyless entry? Do you remember trying to get your key in the door lock in the middle of a freezing blizzard and then finding the lock to be frozen? Would you buy a new car without keyless entry today? Keyless start is just the natural evolution of keyless entry.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

No benefit?!?! I agree with above, no car I have owned required the fob to be in a certain location. However the Mirage does have spot for it and if you use it, it will remind you its there.

The Ram I have is very beneficial, you just have to keep the fob in your pocket or your purse and everything is sensor operated. I can lock/unlock the doors, I can open the tail gate and start the car without a key. The car even won't let you lock the keys in the car if the fob is in the vehicle and you are not. I have a bad habit of jumping out and hitting the door lock button and slamming the door without a second thought....the car says "NO". Its saved me a couple times....Back in the late 90s, that was a $100 bill from a locksmith! (I have never locked the keys in the car since!) The key fob, push button start, remote start is a wonderful thing! Now cars that drive themselves....I might need more convincing.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some "push button start" cars require the fob to be in a special place if the fob battery gets very low on charge.

My 2015 Impala has remote start but you still need to turn the key in the ignition to drive it. There's no "Start" button.
    The key is one of those double sided things which pops out of the fob like a switch blade.
    (You can also use the key to start the car if the fob battery is dead.)

7. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

^^ This. We bought a 2019 Ford early last year, our first keyless car. We were trying to shut off the automatic locks when you put it in drive and accidentally triggered something that made us put the fob in the special location (like if its battery was dead). We had to take it back to the dealer who had to ask us what we did (following "programming" instructions in the user manual) to undo it because no one could figure it out. So aside from dead fob battery or you did something really strange, you should never need to take it out of your pocket.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Some of yall showing your age...."How does this work lol"....The switch blade key fob is still old school. Most fobs have a hidden key inside "just in case", but no matter how dead a fob was, it would always start the car even though the strength wasn't there to remotely unlock the doors. That's usually the sign to replace the batteries...in the end you can't blame the fob for your laziness. Its like changing the batteries in the smoke detector. It tells you when it's time...don't blame it when it doesn't work because you didn't change the battery.

9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

It's just automotive evolution. Adapt or perish, lol. No one said it had to make sense.:)

I don't have a problem with the FOB, push button start, and all that on our 2020 Honda CR-V EX. But I'll tell you what I really freakin' hate is the Auto Idle Stop.
    "To further enhance fuel efficiency, all CR-V trims feature an idle-stop system. When the vehicle brakes to a stop for at least two seconds—such as at a traffic light—the engine automatically shuts off to save fuel. When the driver releases the brake pedal, the engine starts back up by itself." I'm sure this is an emissions issue, too.

You can disable it by pushing a button, but you have to turn it off every time you start the vehicle. It doesn't stay disabled. Supposedly, the starter and all that are equipped for this system and won't wear out like the typical parts. But when I forget to turn it off and the vehicle basically stalls on me, it really pisses me off.
    I've read that you can permanently disable the feature by rerouting some wiring in the upper console. Doesn't look too hard, but I'd rather just get into the habit of disabling it on startup. Over a year later and I still forget to do it.

10. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

I can’t stand them, I drive multiple cars a day with push button start usually in a hurry and constantly grab the fob and jump out and forget to turn the car off, most beep at u but some do not. Also just love when im scanning a car with it in accessory and the car says low voltage because it knows the car is in accessory and just shuts the ignition off on me mid scan.