Push button start.....why?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80sz, Mar 24, 2021.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I bought a zl1

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  3. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

First, what the hell does FOB stand for? Yesterday, I went to start my Honda Accord. It wouldn't. What the hell??????? I reached around in my pocket and I forgot the "FOB." I went in the house came out and then the car would start. How close do you have to be with the "key" so the car will start? These new cars.....I'm driving down to Church and I though I was going to be late. I said out loud "I wonder what time it is?" Then a voice comes out of no where and say "The time is 10:16 AM." I almost Sh()*&my pants. I thought it was a miracle. I don't have a clue how that happened. My car has so many things I can set up/use. I just don't understand all of this stuff. All I ever wanted was a heater and a kick butt sound system.

80sz likes this.
  4. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

^^^^^ my prepper buddy says its "listening " to you-it made a mistake letting you know it does by giving you the time :eek: Later Steve!! :D:D:D

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm curious about a couple of things...

My fiancé has an Equinox with the "Push button start/fob" system.
    It also has the auto stop/start feature. (I never attempted to disable it and it doesn't bother her any more.)

Is there anything preventing someone from setting the fob on the sunroof and hopping in for a drive?

If not... What happens if you do?
    I suppose different vehicle makes could behave differently.

Does the car shut down when the fob slides off the roof?
    Will it stay running until you hit the "Stop" button again?
    Does it keep the car running for a mile, or a minute... Then shut down?
    Which leaves you guessing where to start looking for the fob when it's remembered it WAS left on the sunroof.
    (Or... In a purse, on the roof. :oops: )

[​IMG]

One more question.

If it has that auto-stop/start "feature" engaged...
    Does it stop the engine at the next stop light and leave you stranded because the fob isn't near for a restart?

I can see where the keyless start and fob combo might foil car-jacking if it shuts the car down in a minute, or a mile, or the next stop... but it would suck if someone left it on the roof or bumper and lost it on the freeway.

No... I'm not about to test these various outcomes with my fiancé's vehicle.
    I just want to have an idea how this system works if the fob would become lost, while driving. (Just in case.)

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

^but terry you SHOULD test this with her vehicle. Video and relay the results. May need to let us know when you recover from the head injuries sustained after you lose her purse on the freeway.

7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought an aftermarket keyless entry/start system I'm going to install in my project Camaro. When you walk up to the car, it will unlock the doors. You get in, put your foot on the brake and push the start button to start the car. If my memory serves me correctly, it will also shut off the car, lock the doors and close the windows (if fitted with electric controls) when you walk away from the car. It works off a credit card sized piece you have on your person, probably just stuck it in your wallet like a credit card.

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

Good questions. The only answer I can provide from experience is a message will appear in the info center (dash) that the FOB cannot be detected. I noticed this one time when my wife had the FOB on her and she had to run back in the house. I was in the driver's seat when the message appeared. I can't remember if there was a chime/beep or not, but probably did to get my attention. The CR-V was running and did not shut off. She was gone maybe a minute. No other warning from the info center. As mentioned before, the vehicle will beep if you walk away with the FOB and it's running, but has never shut off on me . . . yet, lol.

I don't think the auto idle stop is the same as a starter kill or other theft feature. The vehicle is still "on" when auto idle stop is engaged; it's just that the motor has stopped running.

9. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

I'd like to have a push button start on my 71.

Or at least the key moved back to the dash....

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

No I mean, Why would you need to "prime" the engine?