Push button start.....why?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80sz, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Not really when you add in the cost of a computer to make the ignition system work so the push button can do its job. At that point, a $2 key is the cheap one.

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

It’s not that I’m against tech and change, but some of it is just getting over the top and annoying. I’m there to drive the car, and the car is there to be driven. I don’t need the car to auto sinc with my cell phone, or ask me where I’d like to go. And the auto steering thing really bugs me. If you can’t put your phone down and pay attention to what you are doing and where you are going so you aren’t swerving over the lines.....well perhaps a bicycle would be a better mode of transportation for you.
    The screens in these cars are annoying to me too, can’t dim them enough in my opinion, and we want people off their phones while driving.....but then give them a much larger screen and everything is on a menu or app. LOL.
    I prefer the ignition key myself, but push buttons don’t really bother me either.

dcozzi, 72'z'steve and 80sz like this.
  3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

You were correct, the battery in fob was week and had to be put in spot in car to start, it’s a wrecked car we are fixing that has been sitting. I’m still in learning phase with them

4. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The body control computer has been in modern cars for years, adding a pushbutton start feature to it costs next to nothing. The mechanicals behind the key start are more expensive than just the $2 key.

berg2695 likes this.
  5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

So, after learning about how keyless start systems really work, are you open to the idea that for many it is a highly desired feature? Do you understand the "Why"?

6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Aw man luv you , but no I think they stink. Other than having my foot on the brake for safety sake and the prime my engine I want a key like old times. I wouldn’t mind losing the TVs in cars also, it’s getting ridiculous, pretty soon the seats gonna transform into a bed with a pillow that pops out the headrest.

gramps likes this.
  7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

How do you feel about kids on your lawn?

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

are they my kids? If so they better be mowing it.

Da-bigguy, gramps and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

In 1970,neighbor asked my Pop "where do you stand on seat belts?" Pop replied "stand on them?, I sit on them." :crazy:o_O:rolleyes::confused::crazy: Later Steve!

BillyDean7173 and TTR230 like this.
  10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOL...when I went to get my driver's license, the fella doing the ride-a-long asked about the seat belt in my Mom's 72 squareback VW. I pointed to the floor. He took out his handkerchief and picked up the seat belt that had been tucked down the the deep dark depths of old french fries and used sucker sticks, pulled it out, wiped it off and tried his best to unfold it enough to get it around his waist and latched..... I was like, man I haven't seen that thing since my Mom's car was new.

green 1977 likes this.