Push button start.....why?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80sz, Mar 24, 2021.

1. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Reminded me of not long after a mandatory seatbelt law came into affect in Ontario, my old man would drive around with the seatbelt hanging out from the bottom of the door, daring the police to pull him over. That was a different time, though, and the police didn't care.

2. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Different time for sure! I told the story before I think of how at a family picnic in '73,74 family friend "uncle" Clarence brought his then new Ford Torino/elite?? and Clarence asked dad for a utility knife to cut out the seatbelts :eek: He and my dad then spent the afternoon with an AMP crimper and a ton of scotchlocks to cut out the seat belt interlock system so he could drive it away :eek: No alcohol involved either!! Dang Nabbit!!!! Later Steve!!

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

The benefit of a push start to me is no need to hold a key at all. if the car has push start it probably has keyless entry so you can open the door by pulling the handle only and then get in with no key to hold at all and start the car to move.

4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

a benefit until it’s not.....they have all but eliminated mechanical (key) door locks. Trunk on my impala the electrical release failed. Also has no keyed entry. That’s fun. Also no flip down seats. Yep. Even more fun. Why don’t we need physical keys again?

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

GM hides the door locks under a little cap on the end of the door handle.
    You use the key (hidden in the fob) to pry the cap off and unlock the door.

I will have to check the trunk release on my Impala (2015).
    I know there's an escape handle on the trunk lid (inside the trunk) but I don't know if there's another way to open it without the electric release.

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Ah but mine is an 07. Already no mechanical trunk release. (Except the police models oddly enough) but I do have a key that works in the door and ignition. Just no trunk access without removing the rear seat and convincing the neighbors 8 yr old to crawl through the supports and pull the stupid release handle.

7. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

My Jaguar f type doesn’t have an exposed physical key, it’s like the ranger rovers. It’s hidden inside the fob and have never even opened it to see it. No need for a key with that car.

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Spoken by someone that has obviously never had a key break off in the door or a experienced a frozen keyed lock...:rolleyes:

(which happens more often as an electrical release failure)

The vast majority of car owners are perfectly happy with keyless entry and keyless start. They actually prefer it.

For those that don't want to use this wonderful technology, feel free to use the actual keys that come with the vehicle. It's your choice.

9. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have no problem with the pushbutton start in our new Terrain, but the shutdown at stop lights annoys the crap out of me... I tend to experiment with brake pressure to keep it running :p

BillyDean7173 and John Wright like this.
  10. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Eh I put keyless entry in my girlfriends old car (05 malibu). It's not all its cracked up to be. Plus the fact that these days you have multiple computers to deal with. Now she has a car that took me 10 minutes to figure out if it was even locked. Apparently now if you even have the remote within 10 feet and try to open the door it'll unlock. I feel like that's a safety hazard. I don't know about most people but I know when I lock my doors manually I want them to remain locked.

gramps likes this.