Push button start.....why?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80sz, Mar 24, 2021.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

That must be an issue with your retro fitting to an older car. I agree that the doors unlocking by themselves just by being within 10 feet of the car is a serious safety/security isssue.

Factory set up keyless start and entry doesn't open up the doors without an actual pressing of the key fob unlock button or pressing the door button while having the key fob within about 3 feet of the door.

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

My Ram has a key and the wife’s Grand Cherokee has the push button. I’ve been driving the Grand Cherokee the past few months full time since my wife passed away and I have to say it has grown on me.
    It’s nice not having to fumble with a key

3. hwprouty

hwprouty Member

Hey, very sorry for your loss...

4. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

I never touched her new car. It's a 2016 Accord. It does unlock if you're within 10 ft and you have the keys near it when you touch the door handle. I call it a safety issue. They say it's so you don't lock yourself out of the vehicle

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were saying that her '05 Malibu was doing this.

As to your Honda, I found this strange, so I googled the Honda keyless entry system to see how it differed from what my GM vehicles do - which requires you to have the key fob to be close enough to the vehicle for you to touch the unlock button to unlock the doors.

This is what I found:

It appears that someone activated the "Walk Away Auto Lock" feature on your Honda.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Very sorry

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

This is progress...we are evolving from "LS vs Small Block" arguments to ignition switches. I can imagine 100 years ago there were guys outside the local livery poking each other in the eye with corn cob pipes because one of them preferred wooden wagon wheel spokes over steel.

Da-bigguy likes this.
  8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It depended upon whether the wheelwright lived closer than the blacksmith. ;)

9. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Who knows why it does that. I don't drive it. I like manual locks, crank windows, and V8s not having a seizure while driving from all kinds of notifications popping up on the dash.

gramps likes this.
  10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Well walking up to car and being able to open door with no key fumble is cool. Just having in pocket is where it stays now. Guess I’m growing up