Pushrods length Patriot Vortecs

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2009
London Ontario
Last night we were almost done but rods seem and are too short.

My Scorprion RR are not having any room to tighten down the poly's and line up on valve.

I believe my rods are 7.10 and most likely too short.

Anyone know off the top of your head with a hotcam/ patriot vortec/ hyra lifters what length of pushrod must be used. I need to find a measure tool today and that's going to be fun to do.

Will try to get some photo's up shortly so folks can see the geometry we are facing. Also had to buy tall rocker covers yesterday, no way the low rider center bolts would work on this now.

Down to just adding pushrods, antifreeze and fire it up.

Anyone.....?

DSC00575.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00568.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2009
London Ontario
The pushrods in above photo are from two different setups. The shorter one's are in there now and old one's are from older style engine I had in before.

One appears too short the other too long.

Some guys on here with Patriots must have run into this problem with roller cams before.

I was wondering if I need LS1 rods.

Have one more photo and sorry about the crappy work. I am still learnign this blink and paste stuff.

DSC00566.jpg

sooner

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 11, 2009
Perry,Ok
The pushrod on the back side is definitley too short. The rocker nearest the camera looks alot better, but we really need to see where the roller touches the valvestem to make a judgement.

MrZeal

Jul 8, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
To me, they both appear too short, Simon. You are right, you need a measuring tool. I am facing the same thing on my EQ heads. I am waiting for some new rocker studs to get here. In spite of what was posted on my thread, ARP does in fact make studs for both regular and roller rockers, and they are not the same. I am sure that it would "work" to use shorter studs, but the idea of my rockers riding full time against threads makes me cringe.

sooner

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 11, 2009
Perry,Ok
MrZeal said:
I am sure that it would "work" to use shorter studs, but the idea of my rockers riding full time against threads makes me cringe.

Lol dude. Maybe next time you should call Richard Childress racing and ask their engine builder.

I bumped your thread for you so you could get some other opinions.;)

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2009
London Ontario
Interesting stuff Mr Zeal and thanks Soonerjay.

I just noticed looking at old vortecs the standard spring I had put in them are taller than Bee-Hives so could that make a big difference. ( sure looks it )

The machine shop I lucked out and found open this morning finishing up some engines. The builder sent me home with 2 solid pushrods, 2 adjustable pushrods, paint for valve and some tips on getting it right.

Going back Monday with the proper legth figured out hopefully.

MrZeal

Jul 8, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Childress Racing? Morons I tell you! Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Just kidding.......

No, its true that ARP has different sets for stock and roller rockers....and a big difference in price.

Simon, the final height is dtermined by the length of the valve, since the spring will always compress until the valve is seated into the retainer.

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2009
London Ontario
MrZeal said:
Childress Racing? Morons I tell you! Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us who actually do.

Just kidding.......

No, its true that ARP has different sets for stock and roller rockers....and a big difference in price.

Simon, the final height is dtermined by the length of the valve, since the spring will always compress until the valve is seated into the retainer.

OK i had it backwards. Going from one set of valves in old head to larger shouldn't make any difference here though....should it ?

Working on the mock up it already looks like I need a longer rod....fair bit too.

.160 longer so far.

Will keep playing around with it and hopefully get a nice sweep over valve with small contact scribe area.