Pypes crossflow system questions

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by LT1 WS6, Aug 21, 2014.

1. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

I did some searching but wasn't able to find what I'm looking for. I'm hoping some of you with the system can help. I'm really interested in the crossflow system with the x-pipe for ground clearance reasons. In most of the pictures, it appears that the system does indeed tuck up very well to the car. I can't see if any of it hangs below the subframe or floor in all the pictures I've seen though. Does any one have good pictures that show how much if any the systems hangs down?

Also, I'm wanting to just simply dump the tail pipes out the sides behind the rear wheels. Similar to how an A-body would exit. Can I do that with this system? I imagine I'll have to modify the system a bit since these cars didn't exit the exhaust originally like I'm wanting. From the pictures I have seen, it appears the tail pipes don't come down the same distance behind the wheels so one would be further back that the other. Is it just bad angles I'm seeing in the pictures? Do the tail pipes come down in the same spot behind the rear wheels?

Lastly, has anyone had issues with running wider tires with this system? I have 18x9.5 rims with 275/40 rear tires on the rear.

Thanks

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The pipe will tuck up as far as you want,its the headers that will govern you a little.I used shortys and another app downpipes for the Camaro,and another company's 45* pieces for my chevelle.
    Yes you can dump them behind the rear wheel.They end right there,and with the kits I received,two 12" pieces that can be used.
    I have the x pipe with the transverse muffler on the Camaro.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply and pictures. I figured the tip exit points was just the weird angles the pictures were taken at but I wanted to make sure. I also intend to make my own tri-y headers to ensure I have great ground clearance. I haven't found anyone that makes tri-ys that will fit my LT1. It also doesn't help that I have a WS6 car. That's why I plan to make my own.

Thanks again.

4. Rick@Metco

[email protected] Member

About to install that same kit on our car with long-tubes...How does it sound?

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Me?
    Quiet till you get on it.

6. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

I've got the same system on my 355 with hedmann headers. Sound great! I've been told by several people, (mustang owners too!), that my car has the sweetest combination of rumble and thump. I really like the way it sounds. Fairly quiet but thumping at idle and cruise, but really screams when you get into the 4-barrels. And no "drone" at highway speeds, just a nice purr. I've got a 500 watt alpine stereo system that will blow you out of the car, and I hardly ever even listen to it. The engine makes sweeter music.

7. 79Berlinetta22

79Berlinetta22 Member

Dynomax Ultea-Flo X Muffler

Dynomax #289-17553
    2.5" duel inlet/dual outlet
    Transverse mount in stock location
    Great ground clearance
    Quite idle
    1300 cfm
    pypes stainless hockey exhaust tips, "look original"
    Shorty headers

Rod