QA1 or Viking Coilover set-up w/ CPP arms

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ratpatrol71z28, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Hey guys,

I've been doing some research of the two in past forums, but I have been coming up with somewhat outdated goods and bads.
    1. So anyone with some experience of either, what are your current .02 cents on em'?

I need to upgrade the old coils and shocks soon so I am trying to figure out what to do(Still on a somewhat budget friendly wallet).
    I do not want to alter the original frame at all so these bolt-in style coil-over set ups have my interest as I am also attracted to the adjust-ability of the ride height.
    2. Would you guys suggest the double adjustable shocks over the single?

QA1 double adjustables are about $75 more than Viking doubles.....

QA1s $625: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171437168786

Vikings $549: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201628911953 $549

In the end I am looking into getting the CPP UCA and LCA tubular arms combined with one of these coil overs. (I contacted the company to see if derlin bushings can be added as well.)
    3. Also, does anyone have any .02 cents on the CPP control arm sets and does anyone know if a coilover set up will work with them?

CPP arms: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262765711434

So what do y'all think!?

2. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have heard a lot of good things about the Viking stuff. Lots of really good dealers using Viking too, which tells me something.

CPP has a reputation of being really hit & miss with quality and tech support. I looked at those arms, but they seem too flimsy (judging by looks, I have not had then in my hands). I ended up going DSE and they are brutes.

3. UMI Performance

UMI Performance Member

Hello,

The Viking kits are extremely nice for the money and less than QA1. I recommend Viking, we use them a lot and we have raced on the Viking stuff. You can't go wrong with it. Below is a link to our Viking, it's the same price and if it would happen come in higher we would be happy to lower it.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=340_341

I have heard similar stories on CPP, mostly hit or miss and we have personally provided some tech on their parts because the customer couldn't get them to help. We also had a customer buy tall front spindles for the 2nd gen and they came in shorter than stock? I was confused there. We build a USA a-arm but our price on an a-arm set is a little higher than CPP. I don't know the CPP economy arms are made in the US or not? The UMI a-arms also have caster built in using both the upper and lower a-arms, we tilt the spindle by using both offering around 6 degrees of positive caster. Add a tall upper ball joint to help with the camber gain and you have a pretty nice handling front end. You would actually be quite surprised.

If we can help any please let me know. Thanks!

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=340_445_446

ratpatrol71z28 likes this.
  4. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

I've got Vikings on my car. I can beat that eBay price, but I would recommend a different Viking Shock

[​IMG]

ratpatrol71z28 likes this.
  5. ratpatrol71z28

Looks nice! May I ask what control arms you are running?

Why do you recommend a different viking shock?

And you said you "can beat ebay prices..." now sure what you meant there unless you meant "can't" lol

6. ratpatrol71z28

Thanks, I will be looking into you guys more closely now!

7. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I have speed tech control arms upper and lower with Viking shocks and I really am content

8. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

I have Custom Works upper and lower control arms plus Viking front coilovers and full crusader shocks with 6 deg caster and -1 deg camber. Car handles so flat!

9. ratpatrol71z28

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys!
    So I am basically set on a set of Vikings in the future :), now I am trying to figure out the right control arms to compliment the coilovers. Looks like either go the budget friendly route or save up for a set some being nearly double the cost, Hmmm... realistically I am not going to be truly "racing" the car anytime soon but it definitely will see some corners and I want the car to handle tight.

10. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

The A-Arms are BMR (I work there) - I post here as myself while my Boss gets the Sponsorship deal sorted out

When I sell Vikings, I sell a Version with a Bearing at the bottom to eliminate any chance of Shock Bind. So that would be a different Part #. Also it depends on how much you want to lower a car as you could need a shorter shock.

Yes, I can beat that eBay price that you initially linked