Quad 4 rebuild or junk it?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FatnLow, Oct 31, 2011.

1. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A little background, 3rd vehicle for my son. First I picked 83 Accord. I kick my own a$$ for buying that one. 94 Intrepid ate water like a bitch. He blew it up. 3rd 89 Grand Am SE quad 4 auto. A good friend put a "rebuilt motor and trans" in it for his daughter and she didn't want it. It has sat since '03. I changed out tank, fuel pump and sending unit $200. We changed all fluid and filters it started right up. It sounded great. I drove a couple times checking brakes suspension etc and a-ok. Saturday morning I get a call and it died on interstate. I went and picked it up and the motor is locked up. Fluids look ok so I've seen posts of crappy oil system but I don't know. Is it worth rebuilding one of these? I'm leaning towards selling it to pull-a-part and start over again. The money I've spent already I could have bought a nonfixer upper.

2. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

I'm in the same boat. 1998 Z24 cavalier, with the quad 4. It was my sisters. She gave it to me for the kids to use. 98K miles on it. After 6 months or so - it started "loosing water". Nursed it for 3 or 4 months, fixed a couple apparent problems.

Long story short. It's blown a head gasket. Now since I fixed all the other leaks, it'll pressurize the cooling system and blow all the water into the overflow tank.

I can still fire it up with a blip of the key, but now it's smoking and rattling. So it's a gonner.

I'm either going to attempt to sell it for $750 blown up.
    or I'm just going to scrap it. Too bad, it's a nice car other than the blown up engine. (other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?)

I don't have the time to put into it, nor do I want to invest any $ in something. From what I hear and seen, the quad 4 isn't the cheapest thing to deal with.

3. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Quad 4's are notorious for having all sorts of problems.

Imo try and find your son a new vehicle with a more reliable power train. I mean 90's intrepids were known for all sorts of issues and so are quad 4's your starting out with a bad power train to begin with on them. Try and find something with a 3800 or something similar that has an engine that is known for its durability.

4. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

Them Quad4s are expensive to rebuild. They are also expensive and hard to find used, Because they have so many problems.

IMO, I would just scrape it and put the money towards another car.

Stay away from the chrysler products, They have to many problems to list.

Look for a vehicle that is cheap to repair, Has good junkyard/pullapart support, and manual trans. Autos are alot more to fix than a clutch.

Mike, Call me if you need me. We've been dumpping some good repos very very cheap.

5. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I hear ya on the rebuild of the quad 4. I thought the Intrepids with the big 6 was a good car but it is all up to how it was cared for. He is back to driving my 86 Accord. He doesn't like it due to 5 speed and flip up lights. But at this point maybe the Lord just wants him to drive it. There must be a reason. I don't know. My checkbook is closed due to low funds now so in any event it will sit. Heck I don't even have the title back from getting plates and registration. I sure miss my 30 mpg Accord vs 16-18 in my 2005 Silverado. Thanks for feedback.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^+1

3800 engines didn't qualify for the "Cash for Clunkers" list so there are still a bunch of them around.