Quarter to Rear Panel Fitment

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 76 for 26, May 3, 2021.

1. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

Been working on installing my aftermarket quarter panels and have a quick question regarding the rear panel to rear quarter fitment. Does this gap look about right. I’ve tried to find some good close up clear pics to show what this area looks like, but not successful (mine was all rotted out and full of bondo so had no reference point. Is the little lip on the rear panel in the second picture suppose to line up and touch the lip on the quarter in the second pictures. Any close up pictures of this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 8E28E6E5-1A08-4EA2-8E71-0B801A80561C.jpeg B26CBBF2-DAA4-47FF-8C8A-C358AFA3A361.jpeg

2. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What year is your car? Also good to use sheet metal screws and check bumper and spoiler fitment before welding it up.

3. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

It’s a 76 camaro. I had all the measurements but lost them. Aftermarket parts once again throwing fits. Already had to remove metal where the drip rail attaches to the forward most part of the quarter attachment point to get it to lay flat. Been fighting this for days and was hoping to get some good pictures of this area if anyone had any. Was dreading this part of the job.

4. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

Been working on these quarters for way too long and getting no where fast. Can anyone upload pics of the rear quarter panels along with some measurements. Need some good pics and measurements of the rear quarter (by drop off and in reference to the four bumper holes) and picks of the rear tail panel on the outer ends by lower quarter. Something isn’t right and not sure if I need to shave the top of the rear panel or lift the quarters up higher. If I go up any higher, the bottom want to kick in. Any pointers on how to get the back end back together would be great. After weeks, getting old…ha/ha…

Attached Files:

5. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

One last thing, the rear part of the quarter panel is extremely hard to raise. Rear part of drop off panel binding with the rear of the quarter. Is there a better way of dying this. I currently have the drop offs clamped into place…maybe let them float. What’s the best approach…work from front back or try to fit the back and move forward? Almost seems like the passenger quarter needs to slide back a bit, but back as far as it’ll go.

6. BC_Homegrown

BC_Homegrown Member

Not sure if a 76 is the same as the 73 I just did but do you have crossrail extensions that attach the crossrail to the the quarter? In your first post the tail panel should sit flush against the indentation on the quarter so it would have to come together another inch and a half or so.

I'm sure others have alot more experience on this and they hopefully chime in but the order I did mine was:

- drop offs tacked in ( they pretty much only go in one way)
    -quarters tacked on and lined up with trunk gaps and doors and wheelhouse
    -big ratchet strap around the rear end to suck the bottom together with the tail panel mocked into place using the bumper bolt holes
    I had to trim and reshape the rear corners of my drop offs to make the quarters fit, the repop ones I had were terrible.

Once you have the bottoms of the quarters where you want, remove the tail panel and weld in the extensions. This should keep everything in place, then weld/glue in the tail panel once you're satisfied with everything.

Like I said I'm not too sure about the 76, it could be completely different but I used the search on this site as well as

http://apiem.com/camaro/Restoration.asp

This gentleman has excellent close up photos of the whole process (for a 73), possibly even a member on here, I'm not sure.

7. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

Thanks Homegrown! I may have been going about this the wrong way. Gonna try your approach and rework he original trunk drop offs (same problem with repopulate quarters…but door gaps look pretty darn good) and temp install the tail panel first and work top down in the rear. Removal of the quarters #50…good thing I’ve had this car for 32 ish years

BC_Homegrown likes this.