Question about a block

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by BTYM, Sep 13, 2015.

1. BTYM

BTYM Member

So I got myself a donor 4 bolt main block yesterday and tore it down getting it ready for the machine shop. Now I need to order my master rebuild kit from northern. Before I do, I'm a little confused. I pulled this block from a 79 Chevy bonanza, the casting number says this block was made in 1986 and up. Not too wierd. What's wierd is it has a 2 piece rear main, and it is an internally balanced engine (no weights on the flywheel) I thought that Chevy went to a one piece in 86 and the crank was externally balanced. I'm thinking I'm gonna just order a kit for an 84, unless there's something I need to know before I do. The casting number is 10066036. Made in Mexico. Has a solid cam. Didn't take a picture of the casting on the heads but they were 2.02" int and 1.6" exh. Just curious before I order the kit why this is a 2 piece internal balance engine.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Factory installed Chevy small block 350s switched from 2 piece main to 1 piece in 1986, but the older 2 piece style was built for years after that as crate replacement engines in Mexico. Yours would be a Goodwrench replacement engine.

3. BTYM

BTYM Member

That's some useful information. Thank you! Now that you say it, it does have Goodrich valve covers. Thanks man, I'll order an older style master kit.

4. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

Does this kit come with pistons? If it does can you get a p/n for the pistons? Because you may not want them. Everything else in the kit most likely would be fine but if there giving you rebuilder pistons you don't want them. You'd be better off with some pistons from Summit if your on a budget. All depends on what you want an how much cash you want to sink into this engine. And I bet the heads that were on that engine are poop. Get more info before you commit to throwing money around.

5. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

Good point, Dogwater. The standard pistons in the Northern kits are Silvolite. ALL Silvolite 350 SBC pistons are 1.54" compression height with one exception, part #3437H and #3437HC (coated) is the only Silvolite 350 piston with full 1.56" compression height. The optional Sealed Power H345DCP flat-top and H423DCP dished pistons both have 1.548" compression height, still .012" below standard compression height.