Question about rebuilding my 10 bolt

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Gasoholic, Jan 21, 2021.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. Easy to overheat an area and poof, it is no longer straight. Bending things while welding is my super power. I weld lots, and I would never attempt a rear end or trust it to even a great welder unless they knew how to weld this application.

Gasoholic likes this.
  2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yeah its like alum...you got to get the part hot......then stitch it....without it getting HOT HOT....lol

Gasoholic likes this.
  3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Ive seen plenty of cars running stock rear ends, without welded tubes, racing. Its generally a good idea, but not neccessary unless its a strip car.

I went through same thought process on my 12 bolt. In my case I wont be racing the car, and will never put slicks on it, so will spin freely. Not worth doing for me. Ive put too much time/money in this car to beat it up.

Gasoholic likes this.
  4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Veteran Member

Don't just hope they know what they are doing, ask how they intend to do the weld process. They should be able to explain the process in detail. Keep in mind that when applying this much weld the tubes will almost certainly move which means they will no longer be parallel and will need to be straightened. So they should also have the ability to straighten the tubes after welding which is common.

Gasoholic likes this.
  5. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

The tubes should be welded using a housing jig to prevent any movement, same one used for narrowing a rear.

Gasoholic likes this.
  6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I mentioned it in my build progress but never occurred to me I didn't update it here also.

I'm taking my housing to a place near Detroit called DTS. Some of my friends have had work done by them and recommended them to me.

I'm having them weld the axle tubes and adding reinforcement to the spring perches and adding c-clip eliminators. I have 2 housings so I'm giving them both just in case.
    I'm also going to let them set up my ring and pinion. 3:73 Richmond gears.
    I'm going with the trutrac 30 spline carrier with matching moser axles. 1/2"X20 X2" wheel studs.

Its not cheap, but less than half what a crate rear end goes for. Like I said earlier I'm okay with spending good money for good work. I'm not one to try and bicker for the lowest price. I understand folks need to make a livin.
    Once I get it back I will be sure to post some pics. Should be pretty cool.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Veteran Member

I also put in the Eaton Trutrac diff and Moser 30 spline axles so that's a good choice imo.
    IMG_20201102_172429643.jpg

Gasoholic likes this.
  8. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

DTS is a good shop and they have been around for a long time. I used to be a dealer for them in the late '90s.

Gasoholic likes this.
  9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

My 2 cents....have them cut and welds Big Ford Bearings instead of C-clip eliminators.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  10. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I agree, c clip eliminators are usually trouble.

Dave Nelson likes this.